Bogen tube pre-amp + Kenwood solid state amp.....need some help here

SteveinAlaska

I know I haven't been around the site for some time , so if this needs to be moved to another thread OK with me.
My home recording efforts are directed at transferring 78rpm records to CD or digital. I work with turntables set-up with 78rpm carts & styli, Adobe Audition 3 with Windows 7 in an ASUS laptop. Between those 2 points are a Kenwood ElevenGX amp/receiver + Tascam 122MkII interface. I won't go into the (at times) steep learning curve that I have been on this past several months!!

I have the opportunity to pick up a Bogen HF10A amplifier. I have been wanting to find (or build) a tube amp for some time now.

As I see it, I am wanting the 1st stage of amplification to be thru vacuum tubes, as the records were originally recorded on tube gear in the studios. Much time has been spent online looking thru threads for info on combining tube and solid state audio gear. I think I am on the right track here but could use some input from others. So thanks for any help offered.

Man....all you need is one of these:

ART USB Phono Plus Phono Preamp with USB USBPHONOPLUS PS B&H

Rolls VP29 - Phono Preamp VP29 B&H Photo Video

Radio Design Labs Radio Design Labs EZ-PH1 Stereo Phono Preamplifier Audio Power Amplifiers at Markertek.com

Stick that between your turntable and your computer audio interface...speaking of which, do you have an audio interface for the computer (a sound card), or where you planning to just plug into the little audio jack on the computer???
If you get the A.R.T. preamp, that has a USB connection (not my favorite choice), that way you can even bypass the TASCAM, but I thinking using the TASCAM would be a little better than going USB from the preamp to the computer.

You really don't need to bother with the Bogen/Kenwood gear for the actual transfers....other than to use them so you can listen to the playback. The whole point will be not to add any color/flavor to the transfers (unless you really want to)....so just using a phono preamp box in-between the turntable and your TASCAM/computer is the cleanest way to go.

Back