Bobgolds.com Type A Mounting

frankcvo

at bobgolds web site, http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

What is meant by type "A" mounting. The other methods shown are on wall and 16" off wall.

Is a frame needed with the ultratouch R13 or Roxul safensound? The ultratouch R13 has the best absorption (type A) mounting, but I don't necessarily want the cost of building frames. Instead, just want cloth over the insulation then hung or mounted to the wall.

if you do not make a frame you basically end up with a pillow with either of those.

Not sure how you would mount it.

You can make a 2x4' frame with $1.99 worth of 1x2's and a few screws or a small gauge nail-gun. There are several threads here that show how to make simple frames. I try to mount my panels about as far off the wall as the thickness of the panel. Max 3" - I'm not really sure if it makes any difference but from what I remember it is supposed to help some. I have read so much freakin acoustic panel research it's all a big blur... anyway - best thing to do is measure your room untreated, make panels, measure again and repeat until you have tamed all the major peaks.

I think I heard 6dB is a good reference as far as range, so if you can get all your frequencies within 6 dB of each other that is about the best you can hope for.

Maybe I will try to write up a primer for acoustic treatment... There are many many people here that know a hellava lot more about it than I do, but I'm sure they would help :D

Sorry I have no idea what A mounting is.

HTH

Auralex did a room analysis and created a schematic of where to place Auralex panels. Using the insulation saves money.

I'm trying to think of a way to hang these without frames. $2 x 24 frames is $48. Plus some of the spaces are odd shapes. There are shelves in the closet where this will hang, so maybe some kind of hook arrangement will work, hanging off the shelves.

Panels absorb better when there is air behind them, rather than mounted flat on the wall. Sound goes through the panel, through the air, bounces off the wall, back through the air, and again through the panel. The air provides extra sound absorption compared to through the panel, off the wall, back through the panel.

The issue is that bobgolds lists the absorption factors for 703 and Roxul with wall mounting or off wall mounting (16"), but Ultratouch shows "type A" mounting. Without knowing the difference between type A and 16" off wall mounting, I can't compare the absorption to know if ultratouch, Roxul or OC 703 is better.

Type A Mounting

This mounting is typically used for test samples such as insulation or duct liner. It requires a sheet of the specimen to be placed flat on the reverberation room floor. According to ASTM C423, an area of 6.69 m2 (72 ft2) is customary and strongly recommended, in a shape 2.44 m x 2.74 m (8 ft x 9 ft). Specimens are tested in a single position on the floor.

Back