BM5's or Whaf 8 PRo

P. Rene

Ive read and read and read. Extent searches for weeks and now these are my two too look at. Ive heard the dyn and they sounded really good (even with an adam in front of me). Then the whafers havent heard them but i see you guys give them a solid nod to the yes-go-n-get-em. Soooo..... im stuck in between those 2. My room for monitoring is not huge but its nice and comfortable and i have pretty decent equpiment that ive recently purchased and theirs still more coming.

The Dyn BM5 are in another league from what I gather.

Sounds like your decision is $1,000 speakers or $300 speakers.
I did the exact same thing. As I procrastinated the money disappeared... :mad:

As far as design and materials, the Wharfs are not in the same league as the Dyns..imo. the Wharfedales are better competition to a Yorkville or M-Audio, KRK Rockets at best. If you want Wharfedales I'd search out the pre-China models, that be cool.
??The new Wharfs...An article turned me off on them. the manufacturing was 100% moved to a huge "multi-brand" speaker factory-mart (which makes me skeptical of their quality and corporate goals).

in other words it may be like a 1957 Fender Wharfedale stratocaster versus a 2006 Wharfedale Stratocaster with Active-pickups Made in Guamgle out of Particle board instead of Alder?

just my worthless opinion, maybe you should try the Yorks(instead of the Wharfedales) if you like the DYN's and are on a tight budget?

but if you have the $$$$1,000 buy the DYN's today. that'd be a level up imo.

peace.

thanks im going dyn trying to keep it semi pro. Whats another set of monitors which will compliment this beauty.

DOH!!!! NOT SHIELDED!!! OH NO!!!

BACK TO THE DECISION DRAWING BOARD!!! :eek:
:D

You could get a FLAT PANEL...then no worrys? ;)

bm5's are magnetically shielded. Are you looking for powered or unpowered? Try adam anf-10's (passive) or the new a7's for powered. Like CoolCat said the Wharfedales and the Dyns are in a different league.

P. Rene said:
well the pair of dyn are affordable for me, how much are those adams.

About $1000 for the a7 (released later this week, I believe) and less for the anf-10's, but you need an amp. The dynaudio's are nice too, I have a pair :) .
Try them out...

yes, having owned both the wharfies and the BM5a's.... to mention both in the same sentence is somewhat of a joke. :/

good luck in choosing! im completely happy with my dynaudios but then again my budget didnt allow for anything more expensive.

If your inferring the Wharfs are "boombox" level, I don't think their that bad?? There's too many Wharfedale owners that like them, the posts would be the data saying their ok, for the $300 group.

IMO, go Dyn's.. :D

and if you want "boombox" monitors to check the mix...use PC speakers or something, ear buds?, Radios Shack Optimus 7's, HiFi speakers like Yamaha NS10's...
something that will really squash your tune like the real world playback systems will...and if you can get it right on those, you have a good mix most likely.

the high end monitors, imo, is like having a very nice microscope lens to study things with and see the sample at a high-clear magnification..

total opposite of the "check the mix boombox NS10's purpose in life" totally different tools.

I strugled through this awhile ago, I have a thread here somewhere telling of my experiences. In short I had shortlisted the Tannoys, Dynaudio, KRK's.

I went w/ the Dyn's and haven't looked back. One thing to keep in mind is they don't exactly pound. They will overload when going really loud, but they have enough juice to easily get to 95db.

After a bunch of months I really like them, and they play very well w/ the KRK V8 in the tracking studio.

lomky said:
I strugled through this awhile ago, I have a thread here somewhere telling of my experiences. In short I had shortlisted the Tannoys, Dynaudio, KRK's.

I went w/ the Dyn's and haven't looked back. One thing to keep in mind is they don't exactly pound. They will overload when going really loud, but they have enough juice to easily get to 95db.

After a bunch of months I really like them, and they play very well w/ the KRK V8 in the tracking studio.

DID someone say KRK V8's ?

*cough*cough* ;)

Garik said:
DID someone say KRK V8's ?

*cough*cough* ;)

Yup, I actually noticed that there is quite the difference between the older (not sure how much) V8's in the studio compared to the new V8's in the store, I'm sure the environment played a big part, but the ones in the store cames off "woofy" to me.

Back