BLUES ROCK MIX! Would love for some feedback and advice!

Birdie07

Tried experimenting with Blues Rock with my band this time. This is what we came up with. Would really love some feedback on the mix, arrangement and the entire overall performance of the song! It'll be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

So blues rock isn't really my thing, but this seems pretty decent.

Vocals sound good. Good stereo spread on them. Rock organ is appropriately subdued.

The drums are pretty buried throughout. The kick is almost completely lost, and the cymbals barely have any power. All I can really hear is the snare and an occasional tom.

Like VHS said, vocals are the big thing in this mix. Although I dont like the amount of effects on it, I have to admit you guys done a great job.
Drums are really buried, bring them up.

That being said, I think this is way more hard rock, than blues rock.

It was cool until the vocal came in.

The drums moving l/r across the stereo spectrum is distracting, too. I wish people would just pan drums center and leave it. There's nothing clever about moving them around like that and it's distracting.

I like when the guitar and keys are interacting in the beginning. That section is cool. The recording is well done.

Thankyou so much for your amazing insights! :) Yeah, Getting the kick drum to pop out was a pain. I tried Eq, compression, Mixed in mono, even tried side chaining, But trying to make the kick stand out is something I failed at. Any tips?

So blues rock isn't really my thing, but this seems pretty decent.

Vocals sound good. Good stereo spread on them. Rock organ is appropriately subdued.

The drums are pretty buried throughout. The kick is almost completely lost, and the cymbals barely have any power. All I can really hear is the snare and an occasional tom.

Thankyou so much for your amazing insights! Yeah, Getting the kick drum to pop out was a pain. I tried Eq, compression, Mixed in mono, even tried side chaining, But trying to make the kick stand out is something I failed at. Any tips?

Like VHS said, vocals are the big thing in this mix. Although I dont like the amount of effects on it, I have to admit you guys done a great job.
Drums are really buried, bring them up.

That being said, I think this is way more hard rock, than blues rock.

Yeah, I was trying to go for that Black Keys vocal effect. Might have overdone it a bit. Thank you for your comments! :) I'm sure they'll greatly contribute to improve my next mix! :)

It was cool until the vocal came in.

The drums moving l/r across the stereo spectrum is distracting, too. I wish people would just pan drums center and leave it. There's nothing clever about moving them around like that and it's distracting.

I like when the guitar and keys are interacting in the beginning. That section is cool. The recording is well done.

Hmmm..Could you tell me what is it exactly that you don't like about the vocals? So that I can fix any problems next time around? The drums were static in the mix. I did pan them according to the drummers pov but besides that there wasn't any sort of automation on the pan knobs if thats what you are implying. Anyways, Thankyou for your insights. I shall look into them while tackling my next mix. :)

Thankyou so much for your amazing insights! Yeah, Getting the kick drum to pop out was a pain. I tried Eq, compression, Mixed in mono, even tried side chaining, But trying to make the kick stand out is something I failed at. Any tips?

Well the drums could come up overall, which would help a little.
Did you use side-chain compression? i.e. you send the kick signal to the auxillary channel of some of the other loud instruments (guits, organs), and compress those tracks with that signal.

Maybe Hipster rock, but not Blues.

Anyway, I thought the first half sounded good. The second half is just really cluttered IMO. I agree the kick gets lost. And the vocals while, the first verse sounds good, from that point on they almost seem to be "too clear" and dominating. May want to play with the EQ and level a little to make them more into the mix and not sitting in front of it. Good job though

Hmmm..Could you tell me what is it exactly that you don't like about the vocals? So that I can fix any problems next time around?

Mostly just the delivery was generic and trying too hard!
They were technically probably considered pretty good but personally I like authenticity and certain things in a vocal.

But trying to make the kick stand out is something I failed at. Any tips?

sure, try starting the mix with the kick and bass only. get those working together first then bring in the rest. this mix sounds like it was started with guitars and vocals.

sure, try starting the mix with the kick and bass only. get those working together first then bring in the rest. this mix sounds like it was started with guitars and vocals.

Totally agree with this,,, also, more than likely, hopefully, your putting everything on it's own bus,,,
If not, after you think you're done, or close, do one of two things,,

Mute all buses or instruments, then unmute Drums and Bass, and then unmute and mute each of the other ones, so you only have one other than drums and bass unmuted.
Then go around with one at a time with the vocal only unmuted, it shoudl be on top, but not over-power anything,,,
If something gets lost, fx it,,,

And this is better to me,
Bring everything down only hearing drums,,, bring up the bass, then vocals... then these should fit just underneath or wider,,, guitars, then keys synths or anything else,,
If you lose anything, or something stands out too much, adjust level, pan, or effects,,,
high pass the lows so nothing is adding to the kick and bass,,, and keep lows centered,,

Sounds ok to me, just some ways to keep the bass/kick playing well and not getting lost,, and they are a little lost, undefined,,,
you guys had a blast, lol,, :D

OK - I'll ask.

What is a YouTube "official" recording of your "second single", which you have "released", according to your Facebook page, doing in the MP3 Clinic?

OK - I'll ask.

What is a YouTube "official" recording of your "second single", which you have "released", according to your Facebook page, doing in the MP3 Clinic?

I thought about this too,,, just because it's a done mix, on youtube

But I do believe he is looking for critique about the mix, he would not get from his channel...

Surely will not boost his views that much from being posted here,,, so I don't think that is the intent,,,

Back