Blues jr vs. Champ 12

SureShotStudio

hello People,

I'm looking for a good small tube amp (for recording) and i've decided that i'm going for a Fender Blues JR.

The problem starts here, i've seen a great deal on a used Fender Champ 12 but i've never played on one and probably will never get a chance to test both amps side by side. So i'm looking for some user opinions on both amps.
What i'm mainly looking for is a simple amp that 'll give me a great clean tone that can be driven a little for a little crunch.

greetings ,

Thomas

I've been a Fender fan for years, ever since I got my first one way back in the early 70s, (a Princeton Reverb.) The newer ones (all solid state) sound a little "dry" and tinny but some of the old ones have a really great sound, especialy if you are into blues. As with any amp the tonal quality will vary slightly from one to another and depending on the kind of guitar and what kind of pickups you use you will notice a lot of variation in how clean the sound will be, small Fenders tend to distort or slur more when you use really hot active pickups, for that super clean sound you'll need single coil passive pickups. As I have learned, mostly from trial and error, it's the combination of guitar and amp that provides that unique sound. Any way I'd recomend either of the amps you have in mind, better yet, if you can afford it, get them both, the slight differences in sound might open some new avenues of sound to explore as well as give you a back up just in case one stops working.

Back