Blues Guitar Mix Critique

Perdicament

Okay, here is the latest collab that I did...it involves 7 different guitar players from all over the world.....all done via online....

there are no vox, and it's to a BT....

I'd appreciate some feedback on the levels/eq/effects....and how it all gels together.... it was a bit of a challenge trying to EQ and Match the levels and make it all gel together.... Plus picking which part to take from each individual, cause most did a full take over the entire song....

here it is --->

thanks in advance

Awesome...Sounds like you were all there in the same room. Even the drums sound good. And it's hard to get "programmed blues drums" to feel good. I dig it. This whole tune has a Pat Traverse feel to it. And it's rather haunting. Very nice. Good balance and mix all the way through.

Ahh, thanks Rami, I really appreciate the feedback..... I used the same Reveb settings as an FX track (I just varied the mix of it, as some people didn't track totally dry) in hopes that it would glue it all together.... And I had to EQ each track so that there was some continuity, but not to completly alter the original tone fundamentals of each player... Easier said than done.... :) I didn't do much to the BT aside from a smidge of EQ on the low end..but it was a fairly good sounding BT as far as BT's go....

Very nice! I really like the feel of this one. Some people don't like the modern, processed blues sound, but I ain't one of 'em. :cool:

Excellent work. Keep lovin' the blues. ;)

Chris

Last edited:
Everything is recorded direct to PC from the Boss GT8.. I added a few other effects that are non GT8 but mainly just reverbs and some delay....and EQ to make all the different tones gel together...The fundamental tones are all orginated from the GT8.....

Yeah, I suppose it's not traditional blues tones, but i did add a very traditional Albert Kingish type style at the tail end, just to bring it all back to traditional blues....

Thanks...!

That is one kick ass blues sound!!! Each player has his own tone and turn in style. The players are awesome!!! I saved this to my PC. Get down, rockin' blues. Oh yeah!!! Each player just as good as the other.

Kudos!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

True

Great playing by all and a great mix on the tracks. Nice backing tracks.

Must have been a bit of work editing the final product...and it all fits together sonically and musically.

Please pass our compliments to all the players on the track.

Well worth the listen! Thanks for sharing!

:) :D :) :D

thanks guys (and goils)... It was a bit of an effort to get it to all have some kinda continuity, but the whole thing came together in about 1 week...I think the first track I got was last sunday and they all kinda filtered in thru the week, I recieved the last track last night....

However, I did put a substantial amout of time into it thus far. And I'm looking forward to doing more of this in the near future....

Also, thanks for the compliments on the playing, I will send them all the link to this thread, I personally feel blessed to be playing and mixing these tunes.... It's cool to hear all the different styles, and I'll tell ya, alot of what I did use was some of the 'easier' passages of what was played by each individual, I just felt that what I picked was for the benefit of the continuity of the song... there was some crazy licks in almost all the tracks that didn't 'make it' to the final cut.

wow. great job. sounds very professional and polished. im not really a fan of this style of music, but this was so good i didnt get bored at all. great playing too. way to go! :)

ive also dabbled in online collaborations a few times. its tough, but if you deal with guys that know what theyre doing, it can come together very nicely.

again, great job.

GREAT PROJECT,
PERDICAMENT!
EXCELENT MIX TOO!

Sorry if I don´t understood , but you work only as a technician or you play some of guitar track or instrument?

*First guitarrist, well ...
KICKS ASS, KICKS ALL HE WANTS!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
(who´s the guy?)

Congrat, one more time!
Ciro

*sorry for not give a more "deep" tech comment, I´m listening far from my home

MY SONGS HERE
http://www.soundclick.com/openstation

Hey CIRO Thanks for the compliment... Yes i play on it too, Yeah the first feller, is quite a player, i love his style, awesome phrasing....

I'd been trying to put somethin like this together for a long time, then just like 2 weeks ago, it all came about....

I love doing all the mixin', and it gives me a chance to get better...I just only hope that I've done these guys justice....cause they deserve it.

Hey Perdicament,

I enjoyed my listen to this!..I love the blues, some very nice playing throughout this piece.
Very seductive playing by a few of the players there!...It made me feel so relaxed.

Nice mix overall, the kick sounding like it needed a touch of boost in the mids but nice work!

Gorty :)

thanks Gorty, I appreciate it, as do the others involved i'm sure....

My aim is to try and put together a whole album worth of material of all different styles....so far there has been two... the first one was kinda' jazzy funky jazz, and that turned out real cool, So I figured the Blues would be another good place to start, where I could get more people involved, and so far it's working.... Maybe we'll try something a bit more rockin for the next one....

I wanna let the dogs out, cause there are some really talented guys (and girls) that I think are ready to really rip it up.... Funny thing is is that it's almost totally anonymous....just people who love to play....all differnt styles, from all over the place....none of us have ever met in person

But a passion for music is the bond....

Ah da blues,
When it's not sweaty, hot & sexualized or sweaty, hot & depressed it's like this stuff - tasteful.
That's a good thing I might add. Wringing expression out against a neutral backing has is pros & cons but usually only for the poor blighters holding it together.
Some of this stuff reminded me of the 1st solo stuff Paul Kossof did - esp with Rabbit's tastie keys behind.
It's an enjoyable listen blistered but not shredded stirred but not shaken. & a really good range of playing styles. kind of like a GOOD end of Montreaux Festival jam where ego doesn't demand stamping on one another ground.
Well done.

Nice sounds...nice playing happening here. Really like different styles....gives it an awesome jam feel. Some very tasty notes happening. Nice tones.

I really like this. Very cool man...

I posted a link to this thread over on the other forum and I was told to Thank all of you guys (and girls) for your kind words.... :) :) :)

Back