bluegrass song..."Will You not Dance?"

The recording has a very "live" feeling to it. Not much processing on it at all. Sounds like a bunch of friends got together and played together in a small to medium-sized room. I'm listening through earbuds, so I can't really be sure about this, but it seems like there's a bit much low-mid frequencies. I'm no expert, though. I'd also like to hear it panned more. Sounds a bit cramped.

I have a rockbox cajon at home - I'd be willing to throw down a beat on that to see if it would fit, if you'd like.

What's Rockbox Cajun??

Anyway, I just got the kit set, the mics leveled, the tracks assigned and all I gotta do is hit record. The drums won't be anything much...if I can't make it fly, I'll beep you, OK?

I just added the cello and bone in the suprise bridge. About 15% of bluegrass has a drum kit. I ain't never heard a trombone on oneathem tunes, though :^) A cello...I think, once I heard that. My two latest acquisitions...had to use 'em.

I panned narrow, yep. I'm trying to model on another b'grass bands' recordings....Bill Emmerson's. And I wanted to let the wings kinda open, so when the cellos and bones hit, I tucked 'em there , R&L , and let the bridge open way up.

The song's a comedy, about a manly man who can shoot n' gut a deer...fix a car...build a house..., but just can't dance. The bridge is his wife pulling his arm so he'll get up and shake his thing. He's panickin'. "Baby just leave me alone, and let me sit down!"

Must go beat drums irresponsibly.....TX!

Good ears, BTW: "Small Hall" verb.

I pulled the strummin guitar way back.....it seems to be the main boomy culprit...as usual. The dobro could use a tweak, I think.

Bluegrass caught my eye...I'm heading to a local festival this weekend!

the tune is great. There does need to be some separation somehow. I'm not sure about the stereo spread so you might want to think about panning a bit to create that space, or it could just be a bunch of instruments in the same frequency range. I have this problem with multiple acoustics and a banjo fighting for space.

Damn, aren't you mr. electic!:eek: You really have an upright bass in your house? Oh yea, I think I remember you talking about having a virtual folk-music shop in your house.
Seriously though, that was good. I get the feeling that nothing was recorded without using a mic, right? It's very noisy/airy, almost like it was done 40 years ago, which make it all the more charming :). I'm just not used to this kind of recording...real instruments + mics + talent, etc.;) I have no nits because I wouldn't know where to start; I mean I've listened to bluegrass/country before but I just couldn't tell you how to get a better fiddle sound or how to mic up that upright bass.... Ahhh, I got it! More banjo! I like banjo. :D:D:D

That's kewel, PI! I saw a vid of 'The Script' where the drummer played one with brushes....somethin' else I'll have to get.... :^)

I finished the drums. I played the mix on the monitors for the first time last night: my ears are really getting bad. The mix sucks, but sounds right with the phones on.

Yep. Big-ass upright...and now the cello. Getting so I can't move around the place without hitting a noisemeker. I'm in heaven.

The trombones sound like Jericho. I love it! And the cello is now my fave noisebox. It's special....very slack strings....super responsive....and a 26"{?} scale. Very guitar player friendly. Update it soon. Gonna try the instrumental head with chromatic harp.

It does have a nice room sound to it - imagine that's a mic distance thing? Quite live feeling and reminiscent of the days when the band played in a room with few mics capturing the whole thing. Great playing and I think the levels are good. Since mono was the norm I think this mix is panned right in that regard - close and tight.

Back