bluegrass song mix

banjo71

This song is "A Tiny Broken Heart". It's a bluegrass song. I mix mainly acoustic music for fun. I usually throw a comp/eq and some kind of limiter on the master since it's for fun, and I can't see sending my mixes into a real mastering house for farts and giggles.

I'm playing all the parts on this take, and singing it. It's fun, I have a good time playing around with the mixes. I've got a few new goodies as far as plugins go. I run PT 10 on a PC, using MAudio Pulsar II mics in stereo, and an Equation F.20 vocal mic. Pro MPA II pre with a MAudio Fast Track Pro converter. Hope you enjoy it!

A Tiny Broken Heart - Banjo Hangout Jukebox

I love bluegrass.

I like the banjo sound. Vocal sounds nice too. So does the mando. Good playing/singing.

My only complaint is the low end. It's a little indistinct and rumbly. To me, bluegrass sounds better with a little lighter and well defined low end.

I agree with Trip, everything sounds great but the bass needs its place as well. Probably not a standup, but if you can dial it in like a standup, (around the 1:50 mark it gets buried) this song would rock, I mean bluegrass, it would sound really good.

Nice everything overall. Great performance.

Thanks for listening to it.. I know I mix bass a little too heavy sometimes. I'll work on the bass and repost.

What is your bass EQ setting, banjo? Cut it at like 80hz. It sounds flabby, like 50hz or maybe lower.

I'd cut it a little more aggressive and then also lower it 1 to 2 db.

The song is cool. The voice is a little odd, but the vibe is cool. I like it. I'd put a little reverb on the vocal. Just a hair to make it sit in the pocket. Maybe boost the vocal 1db and lower the banjos 1db, too. That will help the vocal sit more perfectly.

You went too far on cutting the bass. All else sounds good.

I haven't touched my banjo in a long time. That's probably a good thing.... :D

Good song and playing. The lead elements are not cutting through as well as they might--lead vocal, the guitar and banjo breaks. They are not standing out from the mix. I had to concentrate more to hear the lyrics that I would expect in this genre. I actually didn't think the bass was all that muddy, but may I'm hearing the version with the higher filter setting. I thought it could use a little more bottom.

Back