Bluegrass Session

lucky13

I just did a bluegrass type session last night for Project Jackson ( www.myspace.com/projectjackson ), and got a bunch of pictures of mic setups and all that stuff so I thought I'd post 'em here. We had an upright bass, a banjo, an electric guitar, an acoustic guitar, and a fiddle. We had the acoustic guitar in an isolation room mic'd up with a pair of Neumann KM 184's in an X-Y configuration. The mics were approximately 1.5 feet off of the twelfth fret with one pointed at the bridge and the other pointed at the nut.

l_b150caebfa6d7461d840ce4cfa6e6453.jpg

The upright bass was also in an isolation room mic'd up with a Rode NT2 about three feet off of the instrument to allow those low frequencies to really develop. It was set about 2 feet higher than the bridge, but pointed down towards it.

l_134eba0ee524d5f803e37348208211f5.jpg

We had the electric guitar, the fiddle, and the banjo all in the main live room. The guitar amp was mic'd with a Neumann U87, and we also ran one channel direct.

l_a261700f4815458c1dd54f5b2288e377.jpg

The fiddle was an electric fiddle, so we just ran it in direct in, no mic. Then we had another Neumann U87 on the banjo, about 2 feet off of the instrument pointed directly at the bridge.

l_cd1673b96fdb3ae101ce1267f104c61a.jpg

Sorry, I'm not much of a photographer, but hopefully with the descriptions, you get a feel for what I'm talking about

Nice to see.
How did the tracks end up sounding?

I have not had the privilege of recording any blue grass, but I have done a lot of Celtic.
I was under the impression (probably a false generalization) that most blue grass folks insisted on all being in the room together with like one mic!

I'd be interested on hearing the final mix.

Oh.. and I'm jealous you have even one U87 much less several!

Nice to see.
How did the tracks end up sounding?

I have not had the privilege of recording any blue grass, but I have done a lot of Celtic.
I was under the impression (probably a false generalization) that most blue grass folks insisted on all being in the room together with like one mic!

I'd be interested on hearing the final mix.

Oh.. and I'm jealous you have even one U87 much less several!

This band isn't a full on bluegrass band. This song is about as bluegrass as they get with an electric guitar. More of a really good Country/Western Swing group on most of their other songs. They're great musicians, and were a lot of fun to have in.

The U87's are expensive, but that Rode NT2 I used on the bass is a bit of a cheaper alternative. Sounds similar, and really good...not quite as good as the Neumann, but it's really nice nonetheless.

Check out this thread here I posted a link to the song.

http://www.***************.com/showthread.php?t=5328

Edit: Really? That shit is still blocked? The edited starred out part is a udio a nd a narchy, the proprieter of this site doesn't like the proprieter of the other site, so he edits out the name.....it's like high school all over again.

Last edited:
Back