Blue Yeti usb mic and audio interface?

xer0mind

Hi!

I want to start doing some home recordings, I use to record vocals and ukulele on a 5$ radio shack mic. but I recently upgraded to a Yeti(not pro) (usb mic). now I am about to upgrade my uke, with choice of a K&K soundboard transducer or a B-Band Undersaddle pickup with preamp. I would like to start recording vocals and instruments on separate tracks. so i was thinking, maybe i need me an audio interface. but It doesnt look like i can find any that take a usb mic. also hoping one day to get a midi controller keyboard thing, someday...

my questions:
what am I better off with in regards to the pickup on the uke?
Do you know of any audio interfaces that take usb mics?

I'm running ubuntu mostly but can access windows easly...

Thanks!! :)

what am I better off with in regards to the pickup on the uke?

I think that, unless you want the pickup for live use, you would be better off putting the money into a dedicated mic for your uke. Mics pretty much always beat out pickups on acoustic string instruments. You can listen to some demos on YouTube of pickups and decide for yourself, but I think you will definitely be better off with a mic.

Do you know of any audio interfaces that take usb mics?

Interfaces don't take USB mics. USB mics already have small interfaces built into them, so you can't plug them into external interfaces. What you should do is buy a small two channel interface and then buy two mics - one for your voice and one for your uke. Then you can record both vocals and uke at the same time with better quality than you've ever recorded at before.

Your heading in the right direction with the audio inteface if you want to record multiple tracks (uke and vocals) at the same time.
Interface dont take usb mics though.
Its a whole differant ball game mate you will probably need a dynamic and condensor mic (dynamic for instruments or small diaphram condensor) (and a large diaphram condensor mic for vocals)

Condensor mics require phantom power (in simple terms kinda like a battery power to run the mics)
this can be built into an interface, choose carefully.
and you will need mic preamps to get the mic signal upto the correct levels to (these can be built into intrefaces too)
Midi can also be incorperated into an interface.

Read up a bit more. do some research and take your time before buying. That way you'll save a bit more money in the meantime and buy once and save yourself the trouble of keep having to upgrade all the time.
An undersaddle pick up on a uke might be handy to have but i doubt it will sound as good as a miced uke.

Whats your location?
How many mics do you want to record at the same time?
Whats your budget?
please give us more details.

outside of Boston Mass, usa

will spend what i have to, but the less the better. id guess about 200 for the interface and maybe around 100 each mic.

this is the uke i was hoping to get
Shop the Ukulele Source - Flea Market Music Online Store for Ukuleles, CDs, DVDs, Songbooks and More
notice the pickup options

im still on the edge about getting the pickup on the uke, just to have the ability to have a uke track with no vocals in it.

I cant see needing more then 2 mics, for what I want to do.

I wouldn't buy that uke without trying it out. Go to Guitar Center, they usually have some in stock.
Lots of threads here about audio interfaces, lots of choices for under $200. M Audio Fast Track Pro, Focusrite Saffire 6 ... Tascam US600

I wouldn't buy that uke without trying it out. Go to Guitar Center, they usually have some in stock.[/QOUTE]

Nor would I, defenitly try before you buy as tuning is always an issue with ukes.
the pick up might be ok to use as a blend in the mix. depends on the qaulity of the sound.

Lots of threads here about audio interfaces, lots of choices for under $200. M Audio Fast Track Pro, Focusrite Saffire 6 ... Tascam US600

two tracks would be fine for tracking the uke, then you could do a nice mid/side recording. and make it really wide stereo image.
If you want a great value mic, great qaulity to check out Naiant studios.
Home recordings Mr H is the owner and will be happy to help you make the right choice.
I have one of his mics and they're really great (not affiliated)

If you look around you can find a converter that will convert your USB mic to XLR. This could keep you from having to buy an new mic.

true but the qaulity of the recordings with a usb mic and convertor will still be lesser than most interfaces and true xlr mics and it wont allow the user to multi track.
check out Naiant mics here

Naiant - Microphones

how about the difference between the two pickup options, would i be all set to piug in the K&K transducer right into the interface? I tried to search for these answers but I havent had any luck.

depending on what interface you get you should be able to plug the pick up into a Hi Z (hi impedance) input (if the interface has one).
these are the things you need to check before buying and interface
I know it all sounds a bit complex but research now will save you pennys and a lot of frustration later .

Yo xerOmind- Welcome to the board! Drop me a PM some time, I'm in Framingham. They're trying to send you in the right direction. Stop trying to plug in, and admit that sound is recorded with microphones. Pickups are a convenience for live stage use. Maybe sometime you can come out here. We can do Chinese lunch, and I'll let you try out a bunch of mics, so you can get a feel for what they really do.- Richie

Back