blue tube vs dmp3 vs vtb1 vs mq3.........wich one is the best??

Sofisticated

whats up fellaz........next week im planning on getting a better preamp....what are your thoughts......

blue tube
dmp3
vtb1
mq3

also do u know of any way to connect a pre to a behringer mixer and then to the line in on the sb audigy.........or even for that matter plug the mic into the mixer then have it go into the audigy.....

I agree with chessrock. say away from the blue tube.
all the other preamps are pretty good so no matter which one you get you will be happy.

Best pre in your list is the VTB-1.
The MQ3 would be a nice addition after that though so you'd
get the compression and EQ sections of that unit.
The EQ section on a Behringer mixer is thin and nasty!
(yes I own one)

Chris

vtb1

Sooooo,
According to the diagram on the SP web site, there is no way to record a signal with the tube circuit engaged, on the first pass. Only at mixdown. Is this correct? If so, this "tube" circuit would be of little use to me, since I record, mixdown and burn to CD all within the computer environment. BTW, I too think the Behringer mixer is a little thin sounding, but have never had a "decent" or even budget stand alone pre to compare it to. So I don't know what I'm missing. BIG difference?

Tom

I can't imagine that's correct. It's very rare to run prerecorded tracks BACK into a preamp for a second pass, so I can't imagine that's how they designed it to work. Are you sure you read the diagram right? Or maybe the diagram is incorrect (I haven't looked).

In any event, it's an easy phone call or e-mail to Studio Projects to straighten out the dilemma. Chances are Alan himself will stumble on this thread in the next day or two and answer himself.

Re: vtb1

omtayslick said:
Sooooo,
According to the diagram on the SP web site, there is no way to record a signal with the tube circuit engaged, on the first pass. Only at mixdown. Is this correct?

Tom

This is not correct... I don't know where you got it from, but it is not correct. With the tube circuit engaged, you have both XLR and 1/4" outputs. Send them where ever you choose.

vtb1

Sorry Alan,
I thought that couldn't be right, and made no sense. My bad. I are so kunfuzed. I guess from a re-read it looks like you could use the TRS insert in this manner if so desired. I've been wondering about the difference a dedicated pre would make. One way to find out I suppose. Thanks for the responses.

Tom

Back