BLUE Robbie

jkokura

Has anyone tried this puppy yet? It seems interesting...reminds me of the Grace 101 cause it's a single knob, mini package pre. I wonder if it's worth the grand you'll pay for it at Sweetwater. Anyone know? How does it compare with other pre's in the price range?

Jacob

I've heard conflicting stories about this thing. One thing's for sure, it looks cool as shit and is actually a lot bigger than the ads make it look. If you're gonna drop a grand on a mic pre, you might as well save a couple more hundred bucks and get yourself into a Universal Audio or API piece.

There really hasn't been much internet buzz about this pre, even though it's been out for a while. My impression from reviews is that it is a good sounding pre, but fairly plain vanilla. Possibly in the same arena as the Grace, but not quite as sterile. Still, if I was looking to drop a grand on a pre, I'd want something with a little character.

The only remarks I've heard about it is how "cool" it looks... hardly an endorsement for it's sound.

I did read a review in a European audio mag (Future Music??) shortly after it came out. They tend to like everything they review ;) ... but they didn't rave about it...

Well, in a few days I will have one to play around with. I will post my impressions, and some pics of it compared to common objects so you all can see the size of it. This is all totally new to me, so they won't be very objective, but I can at least comment on build quality and size. Eventually I can post about the sound quality of the show.
Guess we are back to the original problem, huh..

Blue Robbie

I never got past the style....Yeah, it's fersure a work of art, but I have enuff stuff that's not rackable and always getting in the way with no secure place to place it...

It is exactly what I would expect from Blue stylewise, tho...It seems they want all their products visibly "different", and that's ok until it get's in the way of practicality.

I'm wondering how the artzy style has impacted sales, in particular if others like me passed on it due solely to the fact it is not rackable?

It's rackable, it's just a little tall, so it takes up more space. That, at least is what I've heard. I dont honestly know how large it really is.

Back