Blue Microphones

bloodmark

I already own a Blue Yeti, but I need a second microphone to go along with it, and am looking to upgrade (within the Blue family). The main use of the microphone will be male voiceover. Which would be the best recommendation between the Spark, Bluebird, and Baby Bottle? Would there be much of a difference between the three in terms of male voiceover sound? All opinions will be appreciated.

I've always wanted a baby bottle, just for the name :). Really don't have any comparative or constructive input, though :(

The Yeti is a USB mic and two of the others you mention are XLR connected (Spark can be had as USB) that will need a USB interface to the computer. When you say "second microphone to go along with it (the Yeti)", are you implying both may be used at the same time? You might encounter some difficulties if the intent is the two at the same time as the DAW may not be able to select two at the same time. Same also if you wanted to use two USB mics at the same time. Supposedly two mics is possible, but it entails some trickery using a different driver that is not from the manufacturer ( ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver ). Have not done this, so I can't verify it works.

I don't have any Blue mics. Is there a reason you might want to stay within the Blue mic line?

For what it is, I do like the Yeti, so I'd like to stay with the same brand, but just upgrade. Not entirely necessary, but that's my plan.

One of my uses (for both the Yeti and a second mic) is tandem voiceover with 2 speakers simultaneously. I've already discovered a method of recording 2 USB mics simultaneously. I have a Mac, and using GarageBand it's simple to set up an "aggregate device" which can input both mics at the same time and adjust their individual levels as needed. I was able to record several hours worth of material a few weeks ago using that method, with a Yeti and a Samson Meteor mic. Presumably, I could do the same with the Yeti and a Baby Bottle (via the Icicle XLR to USB converter), so I don't have to continue using the Meteor mic.

I have a Baby Bottle and a Kiwi. They're probably not what I would use for voice over. The Baby Bottle makes my voice sound good (which is a tall freakn order), but I wouldn't use it on most other people. I also read that Baby Bottles made in different places sound dramatically different. Mine was made in "USA with Latvian parts" or something. It doesn't have much high end, and has a strange mid range dip (and who knows - maybe that's perfect for what you want).

The Kiwi is a great mic, but it's not one you mentioned. I would think of it as overkill for voice over, and it may pick up too much high end for the task.

Back