Blue Bear Sound on the web...

bvaleria

My studio's website is up (although the DNS isn't yet) for anyone who's interested... (click on my home icon to hit it)

:)

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Nice one Bruce - thanks for the link.
Must say I always associated blue bear with naked women in the snow...you've just shattered that illusion ;)
cheers
John

hey, I just looked at your equipment list and noticed you have a D12..how do you like it? how does it compare to the redesign?

I've only mucked around with it on bass, and I liked it - but I haven't done an A/B with the re-vamp'd version....

Thanks for checking out the site ametth!

Bruce

Simplistic? Is that supposed to be a compliment?? ;)
(I was going for straight-forward and clean!)

:D

Bruce

thumbs up

nice site Bruce! ummm ... very straight-forward and clean! :D

I'm interested in your rates ...
First of all, I think $25/hr for what you can offer is low ... but I guess that can vary from region to region. What caught my eye was the $60/song ... is that a fully produced band demo? Played live? Any overdubs?
Just wondering ... I've been charging $30/hr and have been thinking of billing by the project. Of course, that would involve a lot more planning on my part in figuring out what kind of musicians I'm dealing with so I don't underestimate the time it may take them to get it done. My main goal is to get everyone from always watching the clock ... which is very distracting and can actually make for some bad attitudes, poor performances and just overall tension. It never occured to me to charge by the song. That may be a nice alternative to the hourly rate. I wonder how billing it that way works for you.

Hey BK... thanks for the compliment - nice to see someone caught on to my design intention!!! :D :D

Ottawa doesn't have too many studios, but the one bigger player Distortion has pretty decent rates for a major - so the dudes with more bucks are probably going to be heading there.... if I keep my rates on the lower-side, I'll be able to tap into the demo/songwriting/small project crowd...

But yeah, considering my studio's capabilities, my clients ARE getting a bargain... but that's ok - good for word of mouth adverts, and low prices can mean higher-volume! And anyways, nothing says my rates have to stay that way!! ;)

The $60/song is for a vocal track only (and the singer supplies the backing - it's $125 if I have to supply the backing) - useful for the karaoke-type singers who want to put something together as a send-out demo (typically to Nashville!) For larger-scale, multi-song band projects, I'll estimate using my hourly rate based on what they want done, then in all likelihood, cut them a deal on any hours beyond that estimate. If a band wants any Producing services, those get billed extra, per project.

So far, my clients have been overjoyed at both my rates, and my results!!! :)

Bruce

omg Bruce... where are the javascripts, where are the rollovers, where are the floating layers, where is the flash intro? Do you actually mean you put up a site with easy-to-find information ONLY? :D

How do you like that Alesis EQ, and how do you like the dbx 166?? I might be able to buy those used.

NICE SITE!!! ---> Favourites

Hey MQQ.... I've done mastering-type processing for a couple of clients - but I'm not equipped and don't bill myself as a formal mastering house.

I do have very good ears and decent monitoring so I can certainly take a mix to the next level, but for true mastering, I have a local mastering house I deal with regularly and we kinda scratch each other's back from time to time.... he's got a nice mastering room - equipped with the full-blown Westlakes.... I drool everytime I'm there!

I'll be taking my own band's CD there when it's mixed.

Bruce

Meshuggah said:
omg Bruce... where are the javascripts, where are the rollovers, where are the floating layers, where is the flash intro? Do you actually mean you put up a site with easy-to-find information ONLY? :D
:eek: Was that the wrong thing to do????????? :D

Meshuggah said:
How do you like that Alesis EQ, and how do you like the dbx 166?? I might be able to buy those used.

NICE SITE!!! ---> Favourites
The ONLY thing I use the Alesis EQ for is as a pre-effect send to pull out either highs or lows before a 'verb... mostly on snares... it doesn't have much use beyond that!!!
(besides, it doesn't handle +4 signals very well!) Those dbx 166s are very usable, but still a long way away from my RNCs!!!

Thanks for the compliments! :)

Bruce

When I said very simplistic I meant straight-forward and clean. But inr esponse to the "no javascripts, rollovers...." thing - Just because a site has those does not make it a bad site. It can still have easy to find information, and captivates it's audience. Simplicity is good, but so is not overdone complexity. A great looking page with good graphics, rollovers and other such goodies will look more professional if those things are implemented in a tasteful way.
Jake
http://www.worthlessmusic.com
http://www.creation16.com

Back