Blue 8Ball

I also want to hear people's opinions on this mic.
Does it live up to the Blue Mics name?

Apperantly the Blue Ball isnt very good, so I can only assume that this one is just as bad. :confused:

noncon said:
Any reactions to this mic, how does it compare to a MXL 990, or Studio Projects C1? Thanks.
Just to point something out...you're asking about comparisons between a dynamic mic and two (large diaphragm?) condensers. There's going to be a HUGE difference....you can't really even compare them.

sile2001 said:
Just to point something out...you're asking about comparisons between a dynamic mic and two (large diaphragm?) condensers. There's going to be a HUGE difference....you can't really even compare them.

The 8 ball is a condenser, the blue ball is dynamic.

I tried one out for a day and sent it back. It's a very sibilant microphone. If you like a lot of sibilance in your vocals, this is your dream mic. It'll hiss at ya all day.

Now I did get a chance to try it on kick drum, and thought it was great there. Still, a $200 kick mic is a bit much considering I already have other good kick mics I can use.

Hey! I got a kickball about a month ago, and I think its great. I use it on kick drum and bass cabs all day long. There is a three-way switch on the back that lets you choose different frequency responses. The + is (I'm out of town and don't have it in front of me) a 3 or 7 dB increase from about 30hz (its very similar to the audix kick drum mic, D6), the normal position is 0 dB increase around 30, and the - is opposite the +. For kick drum, I personally like the +, but for bass cabs it gets a little muddy, but I recently used it with a reggae band and it sounded great. I mean, for $120 its a great mic and I'm very happy with mine.
Rory

yeah i just got a kickball too, put down some test runs with my terrible, terrible drum set and it sounded decent. i cant wait for a real drummer to come in for my next project to really put it to its test! but i really did like the three position switch, helps you out with pre-mixer eq'ing withought touching any knobs. i also tried it with bass and it sounded a little muddy on it's own, next time i think i'll mix it with a di run.

Back