Bloody hell, it really is that good!!

noisedude

So I'm teaching recording (don't laugh now chaps) at a local youth centre to some volunteer trainees. Because it's in the spirit of charity and all that, I decided to go with Reaper rather than any of the various (and variously (il)legal) packages I have around cos it's free and they can all have a copy of it.

I started teaching without having even properly set it up. I still haven't used it in any depth. So how can I say it's any good?

Well I'm a software muppet - Vegas is the closest I've come to a package where everything worked how I wanted it to, but it was still a way off and had no MIDI. Now, three weeks in, these kids have done really rather respectable multi-track recordings of loads of different instruments, and done MIDI VSTi stuff with an external controller. And they've worked it out for themselves, eight kids around one PC, because I am no more familiar with it than them.

Reaper just seems to do everything 'right'. I'm so enthusiastic about it now! I will definitely be removing the old Sonar and Vegas from my home machine and getting into this thing.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble for you there, just wanted you to know I'm a CONVERT!!! :D

Nik

So I'm teaching recording (don't laugh now chaps) at a local youth centre to some volunteer trainees. Because it's in the spirit of charity and all that, I decided to go with Reaper rather than any of the various (and variously (il)legal) packages I have around cos it's free and they can all have a copy of it.

I started teaching without having even properly set it up. I still haven't used it in any depth. So how can I say it's any good?

Well I'm a software muppet - Vegas is the closest I've come to a package where everything worked how I wanted it to, but it was still a way off and had no MIDI. Now, three weeks in, these kids have done really rather respectable multi-track recordings of loads of different instruments, and done MIDI VSTi stuff with an external controller. And they've worked it out for themselves, eight kids around one PC, because I am no more familiar with it than them.

Reaper just seems to do everything 'right'. I'm so enthusiastic about it now! I will definitely be removing the old Sonar and Vegas from my home machine and getting into this thing.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble for you there, just wanted you to know I'm a CONVERT!!! :D

Nik
It's not free, ya limey pirate!:D

Hey, look, I just tried it out for the first time. There's no question that I will be buying a licence for my use. But we're talking about kids from rough areas who have crapped-out PCs who want to have a go at home and, because we're on the same platform as in the studio, they can. I don't get the impression that the Reaper team would have any problems with that.

Please correct me if your understanding is otherwise!

fine.

I think the Marketing principal I was talking about earlier is in full swing here you should buy a copy and teach the kids.

the point is they learn then show others, more often than not they will stick with it and buy a license anyhow.

This basically is how “Photoshop” became the premier image editing tool when it was “cracked” every Student could learn it and such because other systems were so locked down (mac) and protective such as illustrator and Paint Shop or Corel.

Photoshop became the standard.

just make sure to tell them there is honour in owning something if you use it a lot to create art.

as i said this type of thing is the future.

Hey, look, I just tried it out for the first time. There's no question that I will be buying a licence for my use. But we're talking about kids from rough areas who have crapped-out PCs who want to have a go at home and, because we're on the same platform as in the studio, they can. I don't get the impression that the Reaper team would have any problems with that.

Please correct me if your understanding is otherwise!

I was just fucking with ya! I don't give a shit what you do.:D
I say pay for your license and leave the students to their own consciences.
I used it for several months before I bought a license.When I finally decided to switch to Reaper from Ntrack I went ahead and purchased it.
I wouldn't speak for Justin, but he's probably not going to lose sleep over this.

Back