Blood Sugar Sex Magik

lilray99

Does anyone know what technique was used to record & mix John Frusciante's clean and distorted guitars on Bloood Sugar Sex Magik?

It sounds really cool and squashed in certain songs( soul to squeeze, give it away, my loveley man, sir psycho sexy- just to name a few)

-thanks

I'm almost positive that speakers and headphones were used during the recording. Cuz otherwise, they wouldn't have been able to hear anything, and that would've made for a crappy recording. So yes...

Also, I think they used an abstract technique called "recording" during the recording of the record. I'm not positive on that though. Would someone like to back me up here? :confused:

marshall (jcm 800 if I remember correctly) cranked. Miced with either an sm 57 or neumann large diaphragm comdenser something or other depending on their mood at the moment. minimal to no compression - got it all from the tone of the amp. strat/overdriven marshall/wah for sir psycho sexy. Oh yeah, strats and jaguar used to record the record.

Not at all related to the question but worthy of note is the fact that Anthony Kiedis used an SM7 for most of the vocals. At least that's what I saw when I watched a documentary about the making of this way cool album.

What? I don't understand. You mean that someone made a great recording without a $2,000 microphone!? I'm amazed.... I kill me.... and it's more funny because I'm a broke-ass. :)

do you think he tracked the guitar parts at one time? Or do you think he played them twice and panned?

Back