Blanket over bass drum.

Muffin

I've been checking out some drum recording videos on youtube and have noticed a decent amount of studios placing blankets over the bass drum.
What is this technique used for?

I've used it to keep other drums out of the mic I've got inside or just in front of the kick drum.
Dunno if this is always why it's done, but it's worked for me.

Yep...trying to reduce bleed from the other drums/cymbals into the kick mic.

I actually place a polyester acoustic blanket on the kick drum, mainly to take the kick out of the overheads and tom mics.

I don't use this all the time it depends on the type of drum sound we are after and the actual drum kit sound. Works really well.

Cheers
Alan.

Trying to achieve that muffled kick drum sound?

:cool:

No, it does the opposite, it often cleans up the kick sound and removes the loose muffled bottom end. The muffled kick sound is achieved by drummers who stuff large amounts of pillows into the kick drum thinking it sounds good.

Alan.

the first part of dealing with a problem is admitting you have one :D

Hi my name is Henry and I'm a recovering comedian.:laughings:

---everybody----HI HENRY

I've been joke free for 476 days now.

---everybody clap---

And I have Comedian Anonymous to thank

Hi my name is Henry and I'm a recovering comedian.:laughings:

---everybody----HI HENRY

I've been joke free for 476 days now.

---everybody clap---

And I have Comedian Anonymous to thank

:D thanks for sharing Brother Henry!

I say tuck the bass drum in and read it a story.
:)

Another thing I've seen done with Kicks and blankets is where you take a shell (both heads removed) of a second Kick and place it up (almost against) the main Kick. Then stick a mic way at the end of the "shell" Kick...then cover it all up with a few blankets.

The second shell acts as a resonating tube, and the blankets keep the sound tight and isolated.

I actually place a polyester acoustic blanket on the kick drum,
Cheers
Alan.

A polyester blanky?

Damnit man, we're Australian... we're men.... we don't dress our drums in polyester! :laughings:

I might have to join your group moresound... do they meet weekly? :confused:

A polyester blanky?

Damnit man, we're Australian... we're men.... we don't dress our drums in polyester! :laughings:

It is Man Sized Polyester, the real deal industrial strength audio designed stuff that real MEN use Bruce.

Cheers
Alan.

A polyester blanky?

Yes and be sure to bring your straight man or your ventriloquist dummy.;)

----How does a farmer from New Zealand spell farm?...E,I,E,I,O ----

Back