blank spaces on MD8 discs

johnny j

im going through old datadiscs on mu MD8 and deleting songs i no longer want. the problem is im left with datadiscs with lots of "balnk" songs some of which are quite shourt.

is there any way i can combine all my blank areas into one long blank? i hope that makes sense

YES, you can move songs on a data disk. After you delete, or free up your disks - go to UTILITY, and scroll over to MOVE and select which blank area you wish to move the piece to.

yep thats cool. but how do i combine 3 blank areas or ""songs" which ive since deleted" into long one? lets suppose i have three blank areas each 1.50 long, how do i combine them into one blank area 4.50 long? when i record a new part, eg a guitar, onto blank#1, track #1 it ends at 1.50, how do i play beyond that marker?

I run into this query myself, if you have a manual there is a diagram explaining this theory.

disc is full with 6 songs

1-2-3-4-5-6

you delete song 1 and 4

disc TOC looks like this

1-2-3-4-blank1-blank2

but really it's like this

blank1-1-2-blank2-3-4

the only reason you need to understand this is... amazing as this
digital medium may seem, you cannot extend the length of the blank track that is between other exsisting tracks.

I guess if you move the "songs to be deleted" to the end of the disc first, then they would appear in the TOC as they really are and you shoud be able to record and extend the first track to the sum length of all blank tracks.

whew

does that help?

yep that helps quite a bit as i wasnt aware of that fact. i'll do some jigging next time i delete saongs and see what happens

thanks a lot

Hi

There is a way to fix this but it's a bit long. In the example above, if song 1 is smaller than blank1, you can copy song 1 into blank 1 and then delete the original song 1. You will have:

blank1-1-2-blank2-3-4
1-blank1-1-2-blank2-3-4 (copy of song 1 into blank 1)
1-blank1-2-blank2-3-4. (delete original song1)

If song 1 is bigger than blank1. The you have to divide song 1 so the first part fits into blank1. Once this is done, delete the original first part of song 1. After that, you can copy the second part of song 1 into the blank and then recombine. It long but it works. Here is the sequence:

blank1-1-2-blank2-3-4
blank1-1.1-1.2-2-blank2-3-4 (split of song 1)
1.1-1.1-1.2-2-blank1-3-4
1.1-blank2-1.2-2-blank1-3-4
1.1-1.2-blank2-1.2-blank1-3-4
1-blank2-1.2-2-blank1-3-4 (combine of 1.1. and 1.2)
1-blank2-2-blank1-3-4 (delete of 1.2)

You do the same thing with song 2. Once this is done, blank1 and blank 2 will combine to make a bigger blank 1. The idea is to have the blanks together so they combine into a bigger blank.

/Jack Real.

thanx jack. its gonna take me a while to absorb this but ive printed it off and i'll give it a practise when i next get the chance.

thanx for your help

jack

i had a go at reorganising a disc's son orderto get blank spaces next to each other so that they become one larger blank. it took a long time copying snogs to blanks and moving everything but it was a successful venture. ive ended up with one long blank where there were previously three smaller ones. very time consuming but obviously worth it as now i dont need to buy a new disc! :)

mini disx rexording

good evening to all. I have a question about min disc recording.

specifically, when recording thru a digital sound card such as a sound blaster audigy2 with the digital in/out puts conected. will just the audio signal be recorded or will all information be tranfered to the disc. such as title artist and such. I hope this isn't a dumb question but i was really wondering if this is possible.

Back