Blackbird - need some mixing advice

Bigsnake00

I originally posted this in the microphone forum as part of a review/testimonial of the SM7b and the VTB-1. As stated below, I don't have real monitors at this point, so I need some advice.....thanks

"Here is a rough mix of a song I have been working on. The main issue I have right now is the lack of actual monitors, so I'm actually having to mix on a pair of Grado Reference headphones - not fun. I need to retrack the little drum part as I spazzed out there for a second.

As far as the VTB-1 is concerned, everyone is going to have a different opinion of it I'm sure. I too have had great results with no tube, but for this particular song, I wanted a full tube driven sound on the vocals. I was singing fairly softly, and I found that the drive added a little edge that fit what I was trying to achieve. This is all subjective anyway. Again, for my purposes, I achieved the sound I was after for $130 instead of $700.

Listening to this on my Grados it sounds great, but my suspicion is that it is a little boomy.

Vocals SM7B ---> VTB-1 (I need to go back and see exactly how I had it set, but I know it was full tube)

Martin D-28 (always had a hard time recording this guitar) - AT2020 (all I've got at the moment) ----->VTB-1 (Full tube, not as much drive)

Both recorded to the AW1600 and then brought into Logic where I tweaked everything. I am used to analog tape compression in my recordings so everything is pretty squashed.

Let me know what you think....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=7696332

Hi Res MP3 - http://www.webfilehost.com/?mode=viewupload&id=5325936

Hi!

Guitar sounds ok; voice, excellent tone and ambience.

I hear no boominess in the recording (BD it´s fine), but : is a bass guitar
there? If "yes", lacks volume/frequencies between, let´s say, 70 and 100 hz at least.

Very good job,nice performance.

*I though was Beatles´s Blackbird, but this is great too...:cool:

Sounds good. Very personal kind of thing. I liked the honest/ fake line.

When the band comes in it gets fractionally sloppy with the low end and volume decisions you made.

Not a bad acoustic tone. You must have set it up wellish.

Back