Black MR 8

bknutson6

After lurking on this forum for awhile I finally made the decision to by a Fostex MR 8 as I wanted something simple, inexpensive and with an easy interface with my computer. I went to the local Sam Ash and they had a new shipment of black MR 8's.....no more red's in stock. Is this a new model? The salesperson said it had an improved condenser mike and was listed at $319.....$20 more than the red one. I went ahead and made the purchase as it was the last day of their special....so I got a free Samson C01 studio condenser mike. I don't know much about mike's, but it looks like a good one. Of course I won't be able to use it until I decide on what power source, probable an inexpensive mixer. I want to learn to use the MR 8 first and then decide what is more appropriate. Anyway, haven't seen any mention about a black MR 8, so just thought I'd pass this info. along. Thanks for all the information I've already gleaned from here and I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once I get started.

Bill

Well?

What is the difference? Bigger CF? Actual harddrive? eq? effects? Tell meeeee! hahahah. I just got a red one, and if this is better I will be mad. hah.

I'm not aware of any difference other than it is black instead of red and according to the salesman has a slightly better microphone....which I don't know and doesn't really matter. CF card is still 128 and it seems just like the red one......only black. Sure have been having fun with it...makes me realize how sloppy my playing is.

Yeah. Thanks, I was going to be angry if it was so much better or something. But yeah, when I got mine and played. I found out I am not as clean as I thought I had been playing. haha

Personally, I have found some salespeople at Sam Ash will say things with great authority that are total and complete nonsense.

Anyway, the CO1 sounds nice, but it's best to use it on a loud source because it's self noise level is relatively high. Also, when not in use, keep it in a dry environment -- like a case, or glass jar with silica gel packs. Many large diaghram condensors are susceptible to picking up moisture.

Back