BLACK MARKET MUSIC IN L..A.

MO ELEMENT

HAS ANYONE DONE ANY BUSINESS WITH
BLACK MARKET MUSIC IN L.A.?
PLANNING A SHOPPING TRIP FOR USED GEAR AND
I DON'T KNOW THEM OR THEIR REPUTATION
RE: QUALITY OF GEAR, RETURNS ETC.
THANKS!

I've been to the one in San Francisco which doesn't seem to be there anymore and some of their stuff seemed a tad high priced. But then some things seemed in line. I know they sure had a lot of guitars hanging from the ceiling. Maybe all the stuff from the closed San Francisco store went to the L.A. store and they will be wanting to get rid of some inventory. L.A. used gear is probably the cheapest around anyway. Check out the Recycler. Lots of cheap used gear. I've gone to L.A. just for that before. Check out Valley Music in the San Fernando valley if they are still there. Lots of used stores in Hollywood also. I think you've given me an idea. I think I'll be visiting L.A. myself soon.

Black Market Music LA has a ton of used and vintage guitars, amps, keyboards, etc. Definately check it out. If you don't like the prices, make 'em counter offer. Get a return guarantee in writing. They should be happy to accomodate you.

Then head north on La Cienega to Sunset(The Strip) and head east. There's a Sam Ash at Crescent Heights. A little more east past Fairfax there's a huge Guitar Center(with a large vintage guitar dept.) and a handfull of smaller music stores all within a block or two. A nice mixture of new, used and vintage.

ALL of the places mentioned above are within a two mile radius so it's easy to shop around and negotiate a good deal.

If you feel like taking a ride, there's a place called Norman's on Tampa in the Valley with a large selection of vintage gear.

And, as Monty mentioned, the Recycler.

One thing about using the Recycler in any large town: Be careful about showing up alone at some strange address with lots of cash!

Black Market Music SF - Jonny Lang

If you want to get a feel for what the old shop was, check out Jonny Langs, Lie to Me Video on youtube, he filmed it in BMM SF their not long after i left San Fran in 97.
I did take a Custom tele back to Aus with me, but i got it from this great shop in Haight Ashbury.

As far as i know the BMM owner was real cool back then, i think thats him behind the counter in the Clip..... the old guitars wernt to badly priced, but not like 84 when i picked up my 61 Jazzmaster for $ 600.00 bucks in LA but heyy....

Back