Black Magic Woman recorded LIVE Feb 19, 2011.

Richard King

The band is "The Escape Artist". The venue is The Riverside Cafe in Vero Beach, Fl. The band consists of Violin, Guitar, Bass and Drums. Recorded using a Presonus Firestudio and Presonsus Digimax FS into Reaper. A total of 14 channels were used. I mixed it once while VERY tired, listened a few hours later, and started again. Enjoy and feel free to comment. Black Magic Woman by Richard King on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

132669868.jpg

Nice and clear, but I think, the meat of the drums are very distant/lost, (cymbals are about right) the bass has no sub/low frequencies, it has a nice growly tone so I dont know if he eq'd them out on the amp, but if they're there (on the track) I'd bring them up, the recording sounds bass light to me. Otherwise sounds good, nice performances and singing.

The bass sounds good in my headphones - a little rattle but good.
The drums do need more presence in the mid to bottom.
The guita is fine & the violin sounds good excpet perhaps a little too forward & the teasing with the wah isn't followed up enough.
Not enough dynamics would be my big issue - levels remain essentially the same throughout.
The itty bitty violin solo doesn't fit into the mix in the same way the guitar did - it sits above and to the side literally. Need a real solo with a darker tone centre stage & with some ripping viloinwah.
Good recording job excpet for the compression (I assume) of the package.

Yep - more drums (just a bit) would be good. I find the violin is slightly off pitch at the end of the phrases and it's a bit distracting. Other than that the performance is great. The guitar player has this one down cold. The bass is nicely defined as it should be. The bottom end is okay for me. Recording is good - are you using some kind of splitter or direct out?

yep, more drums (bassdrum + snare). bass is maybe too low. try to compress bassdrum & bass together. i would give the vox also more presence/highs. relaxed tune, i like the vibe. good live performance.

Nice recording. Good idea, bringing the drums up a bit more. That violin needs to go away, it just doesn't fit well with everything else (not your fault). Bass sounds nice to me. I'd even brighten up the lead guitar (slightly) and add a touch of volume too, but that's me. Aside from the critique, I know this shit isn't easy to do by any means, at least not for me. Well done.

The second mix sounds good. The panning is pretty wide but the ambience of the live room really makes that work. Still very impressed with the performance.

Back