Black Hole Studio Pics

"Doesn't having 1 monitor 6" lower than the other bother you?"

perhaps he has a really crooked spine, so when he sits down to mix, he's tilited way to the right :D just a thought

You know now, ok? Man, if all you can do is dog my monitor placement, Ill take that as a compliment. The room is very new and theres a ton of fine tuning to do,. Im pretty proud of it and just wanted ya'll to see the results of months and months of research and hard work. Its by no means perfect, but its a good start.

Looks great

I am digging the vibe in that room. Can I ask what the black fabric hanging in the back on the walls is? Is that the same material used in the cloud hanging from the ceiling? Looks great, wish you all the best.

Thanks gvarco! The room does have a certain cool vibe. The fabric on the walls is moving quilts I got from Harbor freight, its just there to hide the traps, around 30 all in all. The material on the clouds is black bedsheets I got from Walmart. Ill be adding an additional 6 traps on the celing and wall corners. Thanks again man!

Hey Jim, lookin' good - how's it sounding so far?

BTW, in all fairness the guys, in their own "sweet, caring way" :=), were just reminding you of a discrepancy.

Gotta keep a reasonably thick skin here, remember that unless you post about 2-300 posts a month here, people aren't sure what you know and what you don't, so when they see something in a pic that they disagree with you'll probably hear about it (and that's good, because you never know who knows and who doesn't and needs to hear it)

When you get around to seriously positioning your monitors and mix gear, ask me about the "mirror trick" if you're not already familiar with it... Steve

Hey Steve!
Thanks for the thumbs up, Actually, Im very thick skinned and can take informative criticism. The fact that the monitors arent parallel to each other is something that Im well aware of, Im in the process of building some isolated stands at the moment so this wont be an issue in the future. But I do appreciate the feedback from the guys. The room sounds great the way it is right now, But, I feel I can tweek it a little better with the addition of a few more traps particularly across the ridge, Im noticing a slight ring in the middle of the room in that area. Ive read briefly about the "mirror trick" a while back, I was focused on a different area at the time so it really wasnt absorbed. Im at the point now to where I could use that information, so lay it on me bud! Youve played a major roll in the design and construction of this room, dont stop now!
Jim

I'm just curious --

Do you find that having the computer and equipment in the recording room presents any unwanted noise or unpleasant situations?

"unwanted noise" So far, no. Except if one of the guitar players wonder to close to the monitor.
"unpleasant situations" Not real clear on what you mean by that.
The Dell cooling fan is unbelievably quiet, for now. Ill probably build iso box for it if it becomes a problem. The room isnt just for recording, its also a rehearsal space for my band.

The curved ceiling clouds look pretty cool.

I don't care for the monochrome (black) color scheme, but I suppose it has to do with the "Black Hole" part. ;)

So... you guys playing out anywhere?

Its black because I like the "simulation" of a live stage atmosphere. Theres a lot more contrasting colors in there now, Especially when I fire up the par cans and dim the overheads. Very relaxing and IMO, concentration and creativity friendly.
We're not playing anywhere at the moment, we might do a live show next month at Beverly's here in south Austin. I like playing there, no holds barred, shove it in yer ear rock & roll! Plus, we have a little fan base there. lol

Hey bro!!! Man,..I'm diggin' it. Looks cool as hell. Gotta get that monitor thing taken care of though. That space looks huge!! Are you renting space or where is this?
Looks like you put alot of work into it. Looks great man.

Do you have any plans to build some walls and isolate the control room?

Take 'er easy,...
Calwood

Hey Cal! Thanks for the words man! The monitor issue is fixed, lol. sheesh. I built the studio in my backyard, I got tired of jackin with rental space or garages, so I just said f''k it. Youre right, a ton of work went into its construction, no corners were cut as far as soundproofing and Im getting close to having the acoustics dialed in. Since weve been rehearsing in there, we havnt heard a peep from Johnny law. I dont have any immidiate plans to iso the CR as it seems to be working just fne the way it is. Glad youre diggin it! I know I am!
Jim

Just send all that "ticket money" that would've gone to "johnny law", to Knightfly, c/o yerfrickendreamin avenue, Wish City, Nowhere... :=)

All seriousness aside, I'm really glad when a project like this comes together - now, do I still owe you more answers, or are we good for now? Steve

Amped said:
Its black because I like the "simulation" of a live stage atmosphere. Theres a lot more contrasting colors in there now, Especially when I fire up the par cans and dim the overheads. Very relaxing and IMO, concentration and creativity friendly.
We're not playing anywhere at the moment, we might do a live show next month at Beverly's here in south Austin. I like playing there, no holds barred, shove it in yer ear rock & roll! Plus, we have a little fan base there. lol
Yeah, that's cool Amped!
Hey, let me know if you do the gig at Beverley's. I'll come check ya out and bring a cheering section. ;)

So, what are the dimensions of this studio?

Back