bits in pieces

DS

Could somebody explain what bits are exactly(in laymans terms).Im researching CD-burners and have found that some mention (bits)in their descriptions.I own a FOSTEX FD-4 digital recorder,but haven't found in the manual how many (bits)it produces.If it is 16bit should I get a burner like the MASTERLINK 9600 after i hit the lottery,or should I get the JVC XL-R5000 if compatable.Its certainly more affordable.Thanx for any answers you have.

Typically in audio equipment bit depth refers to the resolution of the A-D and D-A converters in a digital recorder/processor or the resolution that internal operations are calculated at. 16-bit is CD quality, but for recording you probably want at least 24-bit equipment if possible. Not to go into explaination (see digido.com) typically the better hardware and software signal processors can process data internally at higher resolutions (Cool Edit does all effects in 32-bit), which is better even though the audio ends up coming out at the lower bitrate of the D-A converter.

Back