Binaural Livescribe Headphone/Microphone + Mac Help Needed!

Sketch_Boardz

Dear Community,

I recently bought a pair of livescribe echo binaural headphone/microphones:
Amazon.com: Livescribe Sky/Echo 3D Recording Headset: Computers & Accessories
- keep in mind that this device has a 4 partition jack.

I also have a mac with one input for both audio in/out. I plug it into the input and my mac does not recognize it as a microphone.
I connected via Peavy Xport Interface: Peavey xPort USB Guitar Interface | Musician's Friend

When I use audacity and this device, it does not recognize both microphones so that I can record binaural. It only registers input from the left headphone. I'm really struggling to record binaural projects with this headset. Do you guys have any idea how to get this set up to work. Personally I am getting very frustrated :facepalm:

Hope you guys can help me it would be sweet :D

You may have to build a custom adapter cable. That's such an unusual connector that it's unlikely to mate directly with a given piece of gear. Find out how the microphone/headphone and the desired recording device are wired and solder it up accordingly.

Dear Community,

I recently bought a pair of livescribe echo binaural headphone/microphones:
Amazon.com: Livescribe Sky/Echo 3D Recording Headset: Computers & Accessories
- keep in mind that this device has a 4 partition jack.

Some of the apple stuff has TRRS jacks for audio l+r, mic and common.
I made a TRRS to 3xTS cable a while back for call recording, but I know there were breakout cables available online too.

Either of those options should sort you out. :)

Some of the apple stuff has TRRS jacks for audio l+r, mic and common.
I made a TRRS to 3xTS cable a while back for call recording, but I know there were breakout cables available online too.

Either of those options should sort you out. :)

It looks like the OP's device has three rings in addition to tip and sleeve to allow headphone L and R, mic L and R, and ground.

Hey Guys thanks for getting back to me so fast!
I'm checking out some breakout cables:
Breakaway Cables: Ambient Recording GmbH

I am a novice when it comes to recording so bear with me. How would one set up to record with the breakout cables using the devices I have listed?
Would it be like: (headset)-->(breakoutcable)-->(Peavy Xport)--->(Laptop) ?

Thanks for you advice!

Hey Guys thanks for getting back to me so fast!
I'm checking out some breakout cables:
Breakaway Cables: Ambient Recording GmbH

I am a novice when it comes to recording so bear with me. How would one set up to record with the breakout cables using the devices I have listed?
Would it be like: (headset)-->(breakoutcable)-->(Peavy Xport)--->(Laptop) ?

Thanks for you advice!

Well, the Xport seems to be a mono input device, so I think you'll need an interface of some sort unless your laptop has a stereo mic input.

That plug on the headphone/mic unit is really unusual and meant to interface with one of their recording pens rather than more generic devices. Even if you solve the basic connection problem, which is minor, the mics might require some sort of power (e.g. "plug-in power") to function.

Yes, once you have an adapter from TRRRS to a pair of TS plugs for the mics and a single TRS plug for the headphones, and you figure out how to power the mics (assuming they need it).

Do you think I could use it with any conventional Digital Recorder?

Such as this: Amazon.com: Sony ICD-BX112 Digital Voice Recorder (MP3 Format) w/ 2GB Built-In Flash Memory, Backlit Display, Earphone Jack & 5 Message Folders w/ Erase Protection: Electronics

Also how would one find out if these mics require power?

You could probably use it with just about any recorder once you solve the connection problem and the power problem. But that connector is so unusual I don't know how you'll do it without either soldering directly to it or cutting it off and attaching your own connectors. As for the power, you would have to ask the company that made it.

Back