Biggest problem with this song

seeking

Hi.
Made a new song, but im not sure about it.
So, my question is: whats the biggest problem with it....?

Never mind the mixing, that will be addressed later on.

Im most interested in the arrangement.
Is it just lame or could i do something to make it more interesting....if so what...?

Heres the link: https://app.box.com/s/16d0b8v69drhgcgozrh1

Many thanks for any advice.

-einar hoiland-

Last edited:
I would not call it lame. Plain maybe. It's just kind of generic old school R&R. I do hear some kind of heavy processing on the vox like a autotune or something. You could always add breaks and solos like a million other similar tunes. the bass could come up a lot more.

Cool!

I started with Cubase 5. I don't believe you have 'Batch Export' ability with SX3, but I could be wrong.

Overall nice work,

The only thing I can say about the arrangement is that there is no real hook to the song. Not that it has to have one, but I'm a big fan of Pop, (which can be any genre) So I guess its really about what your intention for the song is. Right now, its a cool tune but I wouldn't say its real catchy.

Overall nice work,

The only thing I can say about the arrangement is that there is no real hook to the song. Not that it has to have one, but I'm a big fan of Pop, (which can be any genre) So I guess its really about what your intention for the song is. Right now, its a cool tune but I wouldn't say its real catchy.

Hi. Thanks. I can live with no hook... ...... ;-)

-einar-

Overall the arrangement sound pretty solid. The only questionable part to me are the long drawn out notes that occur in a couple of spots. It sounds like you hold the notes for a least a full three measures. I suggest you try cutting that down to a measure or maybe two and fill in the rest with a short guitar riff or something.

Your(?) voice is awesome, you've got that raspy thing going. Cool song. Drums could be a tad louder, and maybe a different beat that lines up with the main guitar riff rhythm.

EDIT: I just realized you didn't want mix comments yet. Oh well.

Your(?) voice is awesome, you've got that raspy thing going. Cool song. Drums could be a tad louder, and maybe a different beat that lines up with the main guitar riff rhythm.

That is his voice and it does have a unique timbre that sounds like two voices. I know, I mixed one of his tracks before. Totally dig his voice.

Looking forward to adding a drum track. I think dainbramage is hearing the same as I.

I liked the guitar sound.

The bass performance seemed a little stiff. It needs a better groove.

I liked the drum sound.

I think the song would sound better with a vocal delivery that has a bit more energy. It seems a little too relaxed to me.

I liked the guitar sound.

The bass performance seemed a little stiff. It needs a better groove.

I liked the drum sound.

I think the song would sound better with a vocal delivery that has a bit more energy. It seems a little too relaxed to me.

I actually feel it a bit differently. I think the groove of the song needs work, then the vocals will fit the song. But that is just another opinion. :)

I like the vocals, but the song itself didn't really grab me. It feels like one song (sort of an energetic rock'n'roll number) up to 1:40, then it transitions to a sludgy metal riff. I guess I'd have preferred to keep it simple, extend the early vibe, and make the performance looser and less processed. More Jack White, less Metallica. But that's just my taste.

for me it's the long notes on the vocals that sound wrong, instead of sustaining the note, why not make it shorter but then use something like a ping pong delay to make it feel longer? especially when you sing 'again'

also did you use soundtoys microshift on the vocals? I like the chorus effect but think it could be more subtle

Overall the arrangement sound pretty solid. The only questionable part to me are the long drawn out notes that occur in a couple of spots. It sounds like you hold the notes for a least a full three measures. I suggest you try cutting that down to a measure or maybe two and fill in the rest with a short guitar riff or something.

Good point. Thanks

-einar-

Thanks and jimmy gonna fix..... :-)

-einar-

Back