Big washy dark cymbals...

Bulletboy5150

As the title implies those are the type of cymbals I love. I have always liked alex van halen's cymbals, how they are so dark and sound so big and deep. With this in mind, what is a good big washy crash/ride that sounds great when "riding" on it as a crash?

I have a 20" 2002 Paiste medium crash that I love and does this pretty well.. but it is cracked :( I also have an 18" 2002 Paiste medium crash that sounds good but is not really dark and washy enough for me. I have been looking at this http://www.paiste.com/e/cymbals.php?family=5&category=1&action=category&model=237 or maybe a Giant Beat ride? what do yall think?

Giant Beats ftw.

I have a 20" RUDE crash/ride that gets really washy and can sound pretty smooth - like static - with the right technique. I love it. It's not "dark" though. It's all midrange and very, very loud. I also have the 20 and 18 2002 medium crashes. I've you broke the 20, you need to work on your technique or make sure the sleeve and felts are doing their job. The med 20 is a pretty heavy duty cymbal. It shouldn't crack under normal circumstances.

Still, look at the Giant Beats.

Another vote for the Zildjian Ks.

I have an old K 22" ride that does that trick pretty well. It's way too loud, though. I took it down because it makes for a difficult mix.

Note that there are two types of K's. The Avedis Zildjian company bought K. Zildjian in the 70's. The K's made after that have almost nothing to do with the ones made before that. Two different animals, and the prices reflect it. There's been a few pre-70's ones on eBay with prices as high as $10,000!

In general, for dark, washy cymbals you are looking for thinner cymbals. Thick cymbals tend to go "ping" like a big metal pipe. The trouble is that thin cymbals tend to crack compared to thick ones. Many cymbal cracks can be stopped if they are drilled before they get too bad.

If you crack a cymbal, especially a Paiste 2002, which are pretty strong, you are probably pounding the sound into the cymbal instead of drawing it out. That's a classic drum saying from w-a-a-a-y back.

If you crack a cymbal, especially a Paiste 2002, which are pretty strong, you are probably pounding the sound into the cymbal instead of drawing it out. That's a classic drum saying from w-a-a-a-y back.

Funny you should mention that. Back in the day (when I was 17...) I used to use my dad's Paiste 2002s that he had since the 70's. I once let another band use them who went on before us and when I got on stage I found a crack and the band gone. My dad never really got over that and I never managed to get in contact with the band to get some money of the cheap bastards.

I'm lost as to how someone could crack one of those. Anyway, apologies for the slight detour down memory lane.

Istanbul Agop Series, depending on what you get from that series they can get really dark.
I've got an Agop Empire ride, and "dark and washy" pretty much sums it up. I've got "K Custom Hybrid" hats, and they're not dark at all - but most jazz players I've seen recently are using K "dark" cymbals, and they're, yes, dark.

K's are darker than K Customs.

And while modern K's may not be the same as the classic 50's K's, they're still sonically what the threadstarter is looking for.

Also, there's no correlation between cymbal thickness and durability. I've heard equally both sides that one is more durable than the other. The thick cymbals may be heavier, harder, and have more raw durability, but thinner cymbals have more flex.

Funny you should mention that. Back in the day (when I was 17...) I used to use my dad's Paiste 2002s that he had since the 70's. I once let another band use them who went on before us and when I got on stage I found a crack and the band gone. My dad never really got over that and I never managed to get in contact with the band to get some money of the cheap bastards.

I'm lost as to how someone could crack one of those. Anyway, apologies for the slight detour down memory lane.
I just sold the last of my Paiste Formula 602's from the late 60's. I have owned a few of the 2002's. I never break cymbals, unless they are Paistes. They are sheet cymbals (not cast) and very cheap to make compared to Zildjian, Sabian, Istanbul,atc. and break real easy. Among old timers, we all acknowledge Paiste cymbals as cymbals that sound good, but break if you look at them the wrong way. I own a ton of cymbals (mostly Zildjian and a few Sabian) and I have never broken any of these in the years that I've been playing.

Another option for darker washy cymbals would be the Bosphorous cymbals.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions! This is good stuff, I know what sounds im looking for but just havent gotten them yet..

First off about the cymbal cracking.. Im not actually the one playing the drums, my younger brother who has been playing for about a year is... and I'll tell you he is good I've never seen someone progress so fast. But since hes just starting, he has the talent and skill, but not the knowledge of drums in general (hes learning) which is why the cymbal got cracked. After I saw the crack I had to make some changes.. 1. he was using alex van halen sticks which are like tree trunks and much longer than any normal stick, so I said normal sticks from now on and 2. he was driving straight into the cymbals so I taught him that you swing at them in a rotating motion.. so hopefully those problems are solved.

Back to the cymbal types.. Greg about the Giant Beat 24" ride, can you wash it pretty heavy similar to a crash? and even if you were to crash it would it sound good?
Ill have to check into the other suggestions yall gave as well.. although Im not looking for a trashy sound by no means. I think ill just have to stick with larger cymbals, 20" and up which seem to give me what I want, maybe not necessarily dark but lower pitched.. Im really liking the sounds of 24".

Back