big time bleed through guitar pickup?

rockironwebb

senior newbie caveman
Having an issue with being able to here quite a bit through a guitar pickup. Working on a song with a lot of distortion starts and stops, never noticed before. It is just for band practice where we record our ideas. Everyone is direct to the alesis firewire mixer. I am pretty sure it is the actual distortion pedal that is making the pickup so sensitive. (no bleed at all with the pedal off) Also it is just the bridge pickup and not the neck pick up. We have tried tuning the pedal volume way down and that sort of helps, but we then have to crank the guitar amp way up (9). Any advice? I will try and find some time to post a sample of the problem later.

Hi, perhaps try another guitar and see if the same issue exists. You don't say if both pickups on the guitar are the same type, as that could be a factor. I'd be inclined to check the integrity of all connections on the instrument and make sure everything that's supposed to be grounded on the guitar is. A distortion pedal will increase pickup sensitivity by virtue of what it does, which in most cases over-driving the input until it distorts to the desired level which is attenuated by the user. A by product of over-driving a signal is that everything else is magnified at the same time which is why the problem is not noticeable clean which doesn't mean it's not there, it's just that you can't hear it. A process of elimination is often a good way to start, which is where this paragraph began :-)

all the best

Tim

maybe just something you have to deal with, pickups in some cases can and do pickup outside noise. I can scream into my SGs pickups and it'll pick it up. And if it's for just recording ideas, is it really going to be that big of a problem?

Back