"Big" sounding preamps under 1k?

ChristopherDawn

Right now I have a peavey vmp-2 that I'll probably be selling. I like the sound I'm getting on it from guitars and bass, but on drums (kick and snare) it just wasn't fast enough for me. Didn't get a really good crack or a defining kick sound.

I want to get a 'fat' sounding dual mono pre under 1k. Are there any worth considering?

Geeze. I'd REALLY just love to get a Chandler TG-2.

Yeah, I agree with chessrock. They just had a listening session with about a dozen mic pres over at tapeop and nothing else sounded as fat as OSA or API. I couldn't imagine anything better for rock or hiphop drums. The modules are only 500 bucks apiece, but then you have to get a lunch box to put them in, which will run you another 500 bucks. The lunch boxes are worth it though because you only have to buy it once and then you can keep loading it up with more channels when you have some spare cash. I think all the boxes are compatible with both OSA and API modules, so you have a bunch of different options. You can even use API eq strips with the same box and API makes some of the sweetest eq ever.

Yea, I actually attended that Tapeop preamp listening session, and that's pretty much what I came away with. The Old School had kind of a nice, fat sound to it that seems to compliment drums particularly well.

Yeah, from the threads on all of the different message boards I'm pretty much picking up that a dual mono 'big' sounding preamp really doesn't exist.

However, there are a bunch that are more expensive that people suggest. haha.

Oh gear, why must you be so expensive?

OSA's are cool I've got the C's and Im also trying out a A..Good value once you get the rack/powersuppy its about 450.00 a mod. Also compatible with API 500 series mods too and I also belive the B.A 312 mods..Just more flavas :)

Last edited:
Sebatron V2000. Mine is very BIG and can be a combination of clean or 'tube dirty', depending on what you want.

The Vintech Dual 72 is pretty big sounding. I use mine for drums all the time. OH, snare, Kick, you name it. New they're around $1300 but you see them used for about $1k sometimes. I managed to snag one on ebay buy it now for like $875 but that probably won't happen again.

Christopher,

I know what you mean about that "fat" in your face sound. my GR ME-1NV gives me that but single channel was 1k, the Speck 5.0 gave me that but single channel $800ish. the Chandler is super, but its $1700.00, this is also the catagory the $475.00 RNP miracle (I own as well) isnt quite that "fat" in your face sound your looking for.

The Sebatron came to mind, as mentioned, but I dont think I would take a chance on that due to its internet only word of mouth 9unless you can get that cat down under to send you one to audition) . plus, I'll bet your Peavey isnt too far off from that piece any way (both tubes) are you sure you want to sell it?

the OSA (2 units and the lunch box) will put you around the $1500 mark as well as the Brent Averil lunch box and his two API units (which would be my choice over the OSA) IMO....If you can find the Vintech Dual72 on Ebay or used for 1k (which might be possible) that might be your best bet for that "fat" sound your looking for. the Vintech is a slight bit on the darker side due to its Nevesque adesign.

One other possibility, would be the release of the new Toft ATC 2 channel mic pre/compressor/EQ $900ish. its based on the Trident where you should get some slight color with a bit more clean punch (might be ideal for kick/snare) especially with the comp/EQ section said to be really nice.

the Buzz audio MA-2.2 pre is said to be a very nice clean yet punchy 2 channel pre (though it goes for $1800) Buzz has the new SSA-1.1 which is a two channel pre with a few less features using the same pre's used in the MA2.2. the SSA1.1 goes for about $1200 due out anytime.

seems like at the 1k point you're about $200-$500 away from getting that punchy fat sound your really looking for. maybe it means saving a bit more and making it worth the wait?....so as I said, find the Vintech deal for 1k and thats probably your best bet. (even at $1200.00 its still a great piece) however, if its $1200.00 for that, I'd just stay put for another 300 and get the super punchy Brent Averil API's/lunchbox they kill on drum overheads and/or kick and especially snare. (plus you'll be able to fill the rest of the 6 space box up with more units, you could even put on or two OSA units in there as well for a slightly different flavor)

good luck

If you're really thinking about selling the Peavey, give me a call 508-543-0069... I have had a couple of great experiences with them and wouldn't mind adding one for our room if the price was right... with that said... I would also advise against you getting into a game of 'hardware roulette'... selling something that might be useful to you in the future to get something else that might be useful to you in the future.

My advice would be to assemble a collection of hardware, to build your palette of tonal textures that will enable you to really suit the tones you're recording to the overall vibe of the music.

But hey... it's your world, do what you want. If you wanna sell the Peavey thing, lemme know.

Peace.

I've got a VMP-2 and I've used it on all kinds of sources. But I never really had any other stuff to compare it to until recently.

I bought a DIY kit from Seventh Circle Audio (www.seventhcircleaudio.com) which included a pair of Neve 1272 clones and a pair of Twin Servo 990 clones. Now I see, said the formerly blind man.

Huge difference, especially between the VMP and the 990. VMP sounds thin and small in comparison, which I'm sure will still be useful in it's place. But the 990 kills on many vocals, overheads, and bass is unbelievable through my Groove Tube DI.

1272 sounds nice too, attitude with a low mid bump and upper mid edge. Great on electric guitars and kick/snare. Some male rock vocals too.

Back