Big Question

CMS

This is my first post here. I have been recording myself (guitar), my drum machine, and the occational friend on guitar for personal projects for years. I have been doing it on a Dell pc and cakewalk v8.0. I have the soundblaster live sound card. Over all it has worked well for my needs. However, since my pc fried, I want to redo my entire 'studio', and here is where my question lies.
1: Should I go Mac, or pc? (if cost is not an issue)
2: If I go Mac, what software would be best for a cakewalk user to learn?
3: I would like a soundcard that could record direct from two individual stereo guitar processers with 1/4 jack outputs, at the same time.
4: I would like opinions on active monitors not costing $1000, but not being junk.
The key here is I do not want to go overbord with stuff I dont need i.e. fullblown software with video smtpe and the like, or a sound card that can record 10 inputs at once etc. I just want to track two live direct stereo guitars, and a drumachine, with room for overdubs.
Sorry for the novel, but I like to be clear, but not always concise.

For a soundcard try an audiophile 24/96 I think one is in the classifieds on this site right now! Also, you should easily be able to find a decent set of active monitors for less than a grand, but I dont have any that are terrinly expensive so I will not recommend. Finally, I would suggest sticking with your PC for now, and getting the audiophile, this will avoid any frustration involved in learning a new program. Many people on this site will tell you that the best recording program that you can use, is the one that you are comfortable using!

Simon

Back