Big problem...

hrwmusic

Your mo-o-ovin' so fast..
Hey everyone im still deffidentally a newbie, so here is my question. I basically have windows with 380 (or somthing) mb of ram on windows xp, and plenty cpu.
I am recording through my mxl v67g mic into my m-audio fast track pro and then into cool edit pro/ live (lite 4 version) via: usb. So my issue is that when i record on my left mic/guitar line in At first i thought this was a setting issue, but i tried recording on my other imput with both guitar then mic and then it only showed up on the right speaker. so is this a setting error, or is this a problem with my fast track pro?

i really cold use some help everyone, this i my first actuall investment in recording and im hoping that i can fix this now-even though the ftp did come with a warrenty.

thanks everyone.

You only get sound on one side?

If so, its because you are using a mono input and recording to stereo... If adobe audition is still roughtly the same as Cooledit Pro, then you need to set the track you are recording to as a mono track, or at worse duplicate the waveform to both channels...

This isnt actually a fault, you are only recording in mono (single channel, stereo is based on a right and left channel), so it will play in stereo but only with one channel recorded(the left or right)... There should be an option to make the track mono when you record, then audition will play on both sides as a true mono track, not a stereo with only music in one channel...

no that didnt work man...ahhhh, ive gotta call the company (m-audio).
It was already set to stero, so it the ftp must be the problem.

this sucks........

anyone else got any ideas that could help?

----
edit....im just getting what your saying and ill check it out and get back to you!

hrwmusic said:
no that didnt work man...
It was already set to stereo, this sucks........

anyone else got any ideas that could help?

----

Should be set to mono ;)

edit....im just getting what your saying and ill check it out and get back to you!

Oh and I edited the post, to make it more explanitary

hrwmusic said:
----

i tried the mono selection and it worked. But why? Does anyone know why i can only record mono?

any help would be greatly greatly appreciated!

Stereo recording is a recording of stereo (thus left and right) as one would hear it with two ears (you hear two signals with ears ;) thus creating a sense of direction with your hearing), you are recording something that is one signal, thus its mono (you can still create the left right effect with panning IE: hearing something 25% left and 75% right)...

To record in true stereo one must have two sources, such as two mics or a stereo mic to capture that sense of direction without artificial editing...

All is well mate, most things are recorded mono... or double mic'd (two mono signals fed to left and right respectively, normally in an X pattern) for stereo...

Theros said:
Stereo recording is a recording of stereo (thus left and right) as one would hear it with two ears (you hear two signals with ears ;) thus creating a sense of direction with your hearing), you are recording something that is one signal, thus its mono (you can still create the left right effect with panning IE: hearing something 25% left and 75% right)...

To record in true stereo one must have two sources, such as two mics or a stereo mic to capture that sense of direction without artificial editing...

All is well mate, most things are recorded mono... or double mic'd (two mono signals fed to left and right respectively, normally in an X pattern) for stereo...

wow man, i never new that.... but i had a (crappy) gamers stick mic and recorded into my soundcard as stereo and it came up on both left and right.
All i can say is thanks alot! and im glad it is somthing as simple as this!

-hw :D :cool: :o :D

but wait....is there anyway i can convert my recordings to mono?
just to save em?

thanks!

Hmm you could use a wave editor and duplicate the one channel to both, dunno about converting tho... :o soz...

As for the games mic to stereo, its doing just that, creating two signals off the one prolly...

Theros said:
Hmm you could use a wave editor and duplicate the one channel to both, dunno about converting tho... :o soz...

As for the games mic to stereo, its doing just that, creating two signals off the one prolly...

hmm, sorry man -> would you know to duplicate the channel, i tried copying it (in cep) and it didnt work.

----
edit: woops you were right! thanks alot man!

If you can get the files on the net, I think I can do it for you...

Unless you got a copy of soundforge kicking around...

Back