Big News...plus "soundproofing" question

zed32

Re-Attached Member
i got good news and bad news...

the bad news is, i'm not gonna be able to afford to buy any more gear for a long time. the good news is, i'm getting a house! sure, it's a cheap little piece of shit, but it's gonna be awesome.

the rear bedroom where i plan on making my studio measures 10'10" x 9'7" (iirc), but i am planning on extending it outward by about 6 ft, making it 10'10" x 15'7" which hopefully could be a useable size (should i really go bigger?). oh and the ceilings are i think 8'6" or so, which is taller than where i'm at now.

anyway, my question is, would there be any point in making JUST the addition section double-walled to help keep noise from leaving the house, or would i have to double wall the entire room? i'm not looking to create complete isolation, just to try and reduce the noise of the drums which will be placed near that exterior wall in the added section. so basically i would try to double-wall just the new exterior walls (which would be the only exterior walls of that room). also, would just using lots of insulation and then double sheetrock help? or somehow floating an extra layer of sheetrock without having to actually make a full doubel wall? again, i'm not looking for COMPLETE soundproofing, just to reduce the noise heard outside the house. the neighbor's house on that side is not all that close anyway.

so, any suggestions as far as the size of the room and/or isolation?

Last edited:
i got good news and bad news...

the bad news is, i'm not gonna be able to afford to buy any more gear for a long time. the good news is, i'm getting a house! sure, it's a cheap little piece of shit, but it's gonna be awesome.

the rear bedroom where i plan on making my studio measures 10'10" x 9'7" (iirc), but i am planning on extending it outward by about 6 ft, making it 10'10" x 15'7" which hopefully could be a useable size (should i really go bigger?). oh and the ceilings are i think 8'6" or so, which is taller than where i'm at now.

anyway, my question is, would there be any point in making JUST the addition section double-walled to help keep noise from leaving the house, or would i have to double wall the entire room? i'm not looking to create complete isolation, just to try and reduce the noise of the drums which will be placed near that exterior wall in the added section. so basically i would try to double-wall just the new exterior walls (which would be the only exterior walls of that room). also, would just using lots of insulation and then double sheetrock help? or somehow floating an extra layer of sheetrock without having to actually make a full doubel wall? again, i'm not looking for COMPLETE soundproofing, just to reduce the noise heard outside the house. the neighbor's house on that side is not all that close anyway.

so, any suggestions as far as the size of the room and/or isolation?

Size wise, I would go as big as possible. Better to have too much room than not enough! The bigger the room the greater opportunity you would have of incorporating a separate control/mixing room in there, depending on how much bigger you decide to go.
10'10" x 15'7" is a nice size!

Bigger is ALWAYS best! :)

Just ask Mrs Gorty! :D :D

Yoy know depending on who builds this add-on... (meaning if you do it yourself)... it may be possible to go bigger for little or no extra cost. If you have proper plans on the build, you'll realize the best ways to use all the materials you buy, and possibly be able to have a few extra feet of room for almost nothing.

I'd agree. Go as big as you can.

As for isolation, you'll need to do the whole thing - sorry.

Bryan

I'd agree. Go as big as you can.

As for isolation, you'll need to do the whole thing - sorry.

Bryan

ok, so would an additional layer, or floated layer, of drywall around the entire room help at all in terms of isolation? and perhaps stuffing the walls full of 8pcf mineral wool? or would it have to be a couplete second wall? the only thing is, i don't want to sacrifice too much of the interior width of the room. again, i'm not looking for total isolation, just a reduction in noise leaving from the left side of the house. it's only the wall on the left that is an exterior wall, the rest of it is surrounded by the rest of the house and i don't care if sound leaks into the rest of the house.

i'll look into seeing how far outward i can extend the room, i guess the price difference wouldn't really be all too huge if its just another couple of feet.

The issue isn't sound leaking into the house it's that the sound will travel up through the ceiling and around the walls. In acoustics it's called "flanking". If you just want to cut down the noise as cheaply as possible then use lots of insulation on the inner wall, good padding under the flooring, two layers of sheetrock with alternating seams on the inside and make sure the room is as airtight as possible.

A single exterior window or door could make all of this pointless.

Fill the wall with good insulation. Build a plug for any windows. Don't forget the floor.

Doubling the drywall will certainly help. At a minimum make sure you do the outer wall and the ceiling but doing all walls is much better. Just remember that this is a double edged sword. Doubling the drywall reduces the frequency and efficiency that a normal drywall has in terms of being an absorber in the bottom end. So, the room will require a good bass treatment plan inside.

Bryan

thanks. when you say good insulation, does that mean it has to be the rigid fiberglass, or would it be OK to pack it with the kind they have at most home/hardware stores?

i already have 2 big bass traps (4") for the back corners, and i plan on buying a couple of the GIK corner traps (or making some similar if i can find some fiberglass somewhere). the room is gonna be pretty well treated.

also we're gonna look in to exactly how far out we can extend that room. we plan on putting up a car port on that side of the house, so we might just extend that wall out as far as the carport reaches, which would be pretty far. it still might end up being smaller than the room i am in now, but the space would be more manageable because the way my current room is situated makes it tricky to arrange where to put my gear. the new room will have less doorways and more useable wall/floor space compared to my current space which is 9'10" wide by 16'11" long. actually, now that i think about it, this new room could end up being larger overall...hmmm very nice!

thanks for the help Bryan, i'll keep you guys posted.

Back