Big Muff Pi clone........help

solo2racr

SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW
I'm looking to build a clone of a Rams Head Big Muff and need some basic help. First, here is a link to the schematic...Big Muff Pi Versions Just scroll down the page till you get to the "Ram's Head" version. Being my first project of this type (being from scratch), what would be good brands to choose for components? Along with what kind of tolerance for the resistors? ANY and ALL suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!!!!

Doesn't really matter, 2N5087 is a generic small-signal transistor, nothing in the circuit is balanced so tolerance does not matter, there is no significant power dissipation anywhere so generic 1/4W is fine.

Thanks for that,mshilarious. About all I possess are the skills to assemble something like this and not the electronic knowledge. Just didn't want to have it burn down when I put power to it due to the wrong spec components. As parts are cheap enough, I will go with the higher priced items, using the theory that they should be better quality.

Actually the components that will make the most difference are the diodes, you can change the clipping behavior of the circuit by trying different types (germanium, schottky, LEDs, garden-variety silicon) or even mixing types. Probably on the BBSs that specialize in this stuff you will find some discussion on that.

COOL! I'll get an assortment and try different ones. I'm looking for a David Gilmour style fuzz but may find something I like better.

I'll hesitate and wonder if $90 is too much to spend on this, but beaver takes all the worry and guess work out of the equation. At the bottom of the page is a couple of YouTube clips compare the BYOC to real vintage Muff pedals.

I listened to both vids and liked the Big Muff better in both over their Large Beaver clone. I did note the transistor they mentioned that they use and, at least from Mouser, it is not available. The other thing that I want to do is to mount this as well as a few others into a 1U rack case. For my humble little recording setup, I think it will be the best way to go.

Back