Big, Fat Trumpet Sound

avieth

I need to get a great trumpet sound, but I've no trumpet, nor a trumpet player to help me achieve it. So I'musing a trumpet patch on my electronic piano that is fairly authentic-sounding. I want to make the trumpet command the mix, sort of the way vocals do in a pop song, but not too distracting from the other instruments.

Any ideas? I've got access to compression, EQ, and some digital reverb. I was planning on recording to two tracks and then fiddling with the pan and fader controls until I found something I liked. Good idea? Bad idea? I've only 3 tracks left on tape and I'd rather not to bounce the other 5 tracks unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks!

I want to make the trumpet command the mix, sort of the way vocals do in a pop song, but not too distracting from the other instruments.
I think that is going to be mostly dependent upon the actual arrangement, but during the mix, don't be afraid to augment the arrangement by automating track mutes and track volumes. Let the trumpet command when you want it to, both by giving it the prominent level, and by not being afraid to quiet down or even mute other instruments to make room for the trumpet when it needs it. And vice versa. When they are playing together, then give them equal billibg in the mix.

Like you say, it's just like vocals. You wouldn't normally have your lead guitar playing an orgy while you're busy singing a standard verse, that's usually saved for fills, choruses and bridges. Likewise, the vocalist knows enough to shut up when the guitar is showcasing. No different here, except we're talking trumpet instead of vocal.

As far as sound of the trumpet, you're pretty much probably going to be limited by the sound of your keyboard. Without being able to hear what you got, it's hard to make specific recommendations, but I'd probably be tempted at the outset to leave the trumpet mostly alone and design the sound of the rest of the instruments around it, making room for it to fit in right. Unless the trumpet sounds really bad, in which case I'd be temped to instead build the trumpets using a sample library instead.

G.

Back