Big, cheap microphone for karaoke

bcodemz

Hi,

I'm looking for a few mics for home karaoke use. I was set on buying the Shure SM-58, but it looks so small and cheap in person. I want to buy bigger mics, like the ones that TV show hosts hold that are clearly much bigger than their hand.

Can anyone recommend a good large mic that isn't too expensive? Preferably under $50.

Thanks

An SM58 is a pretty standard hand held sized live mic. Can you link a picture of what you're after? Maybe you just want a foam wind cover on the mic, like Musician's Gear Microphone Windscreen | Musician's Friend

Here's a picture

r

See how the mic is much bigger than his hand? All mics I've used in karaoke places are of that size. The SM58 is much smaller.

Note also that the mic in the picture has a radio transmitter in the bottom, making it bigger. You're not going to get that for $50 (I'd've thought).

Yep, pay the extra $500 for the wireless option if you want a big mic. Or get crappy wireless for cheap and live with the problems just so you can have a bigger mic. Or get a normal 58 and a cable like most reasonable people would do.

Yep, pay the extra $500 for the wireless option if you want a big mic. Or get crappy wireless for cheap and live with the problems just so you can have a bigger mic. Or get a normal 58 and a cable like most reasonable people would do.

Boulder is spot on. Why are you concentrating on the size? (it doesn't really matter for singing):thumbs up:The SM-58 is a great all around mic, plus it is built like a tank. Which may be good for drunk people that are not used to mic control anyway. I mixed for national acts for years and while we did have some high end mics, 90% of the time we used the 58's for vocals. just my 2 cents.:facepalm:

Last edited:
The only thing big and cheap these days is the fat hooker on the corner of my street.

Thanks for all the (funny) responses!

That picture was just an example. I just want a "big" microphone. I don't need wireless.

The reason I can buy the SM58 despite my budget is because I have a $200 gift card at Future Shop, and they have a limited selection of microphones, and they happen to carry the SM 58.

I know that the SM 58 is a legendary mic and great for a number of reasons. But it just feels that, every time I pick up that small mic I'll feel like, wow this is a cheap mic. I'm mainly buying this for my parents (and 2 for myself), and I'm sure my parents will feel that the SM 58's are "cheap" because they're so small.

That's why I want to get a big microphone. It's for karaoke, so sound quality isn't exactly a priority.

Oh, man, I'm GASsing for that - $26??!!

How can you go wrong - look at this intelligent review:

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for the price, July 11, 2014
By Kelli E. - See all my reviewsVerified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Axess MPWL1504-BLK Professional Dual Wireless Microphone, Wireless FM Receiver (Electronics)
We brought these for our anniversary party since we was having our kids sing and stuff. They worked pretty good for the price. The only trouble I had is when the antenna broke in the back of the wireless box. We went to pull it out and right when we touched it it just feel off. It still worked pretty good I guess.

Why not explain to your parents that, despite the size, the SM58 is a good mic. Surely your mum already knows that size isn't everything :p.

lmao! You guys are too funny!

I'm gonna ask a noob question. Are most microphones the size of a SM-58?

lmao! You guys are too funny!

I'm gonna ask a noob question. Are most microphones the size of a SM-58?

Most WIRED live performance mics are pretty similar to the SM58--it's designed to be a comfortable size to hold.

A lot of the "big" mics you see are, in fact, one of the radio mic versions of the SM58--same mic but with a radio transmitter added on.

For example, here's Roger Daltrey with an SM58...

539w.jpg

Frankly, most people seeing an SM58 style mic will assume it's a pro mic.

If you want something cheaper that looks the same, try the Shure PG58--almost identical to look at but a bit cheaper.

I'd avoid cheap wireless mics--they tend to be more trouble than they're worth--but obviously that's your choice.

Back