beyerdynamic M201TG

i got mine last week.

so far i've only tried it on my guitar cab.

AWESOME. very natural and authentic. much better than my sm57. best i've ever heard.

Indeed, you can use the 201 on everything, drums: Kick, snare, toms, hi hat, ride cymbal and OH. Guitar cabs, acoustic instruments like guitar, horns, winds.

Short story, it will never sound bad, at least reasonable and on some applications it'll sound great. It has a nearly to flat freq response, can handle very high SPL levels, is hyper cardioid and it has a nice off axis response.

Now, what more do you want? I've used it on mallets as well.
Actually there are no bad Beyer mics, the M88 is a great mic and so are the ribbons M130, 160, 260 and 500.

As good a small d dynamic there is. 'Honest' is a great description of its sound, more versatile than a 57, not as robustly built....A step above the Audix i5 though I dont think it delivers quite the same type of punch. Its a mic I have used for many many things...makes a damn good vocal mic in a pinch.....THE best hihat mic in the world under $500. ( a KM184 is better but not at this price)

"If the SM57 were a microphone, it would sound like this." :D

But really, I shouldn't say anything, since I don't own one. I damn sure want one though!

thanks a lot everybody, i'm gonna order one.

thomann.de has them on sale for 140 euros - $200 - so they're not that expensive.

I just bought one, tried it on snare and guitar cab. I thought it would be brighter-sounding than an SM57, and I think the higher frequencies are there, but it has a more full-bodied sound to it (was there a proximity effect the way I was using it, maybe?). This is not bad, though. On snare I get the higher frequencies from the overhead mics and the punch from the M201TG. It has a smooth yet accurate sound. On guitar cabinet it seems very transparent. It is hyper cardoid, so I guess the angle and distance placement is important. I need to play with it some more. Hard to tell if it's worth 2.5x the price of an SM57, but it's a nice mic whose cost will be incidental after a few years of use.

Last edited:
Back