Beyer Soundstar II on Acoustic Guitar

hognogger

Beyer Soundstar MkII on Acoustic Guitar

I don't have a preamp at the moment, so just for fun, I tried recording a song using only my dynamic mics. Just an acoustic guitar track and vocals, put through an old Boss mixer. The result was a bit noisy, but interesting.

I tried 3 mikes: the Beyer, an SM58 with the windshield removed, and an EV N/D 767 that I have on loan.

On both sources ( Maton CW80 acoustic guitar and my vocals) the Beyer mic sounded better to me than the others. It had better definition and a better overall frequency balance. The SM58 was second, with the EV a distant third, hotter than the rest, but sounding very trebly and unfocused on guitar.

What was most surprising (well, to me, anyway) was how well the Soundstar did with the guitar - the sound was quite useable. Not exceptional, but definitely not an embarrasment.

Maybe I'll put up an mp3 in the MP3 Clinic forum if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
I tested every mic I own with my acoustic and the M400 really suprised me. Warm,clear and focused.

I've never used the Beyer for this app but maybe I'll give it a try sometime. We should petition Beyer to start making it again.

When I get access to a preamp again, I'll definitely be experimenting using the Soundstar on some acoustic recordings in combination with condenser.

Incidentally, I'm keen to get another good dynamic mic soon. Was thinking about a second-hand RE15 or an RE16 off ebay. Chessparov seems to really like these mics. Wonder if they sound different enough to the Soundstar to make it worth my while to get one.

It's criminal but I own one but have never had time to really try it out. I got it and then a USA-made 545 shortly after, and the Beyer kinda got shoved outta the picture a bit. I really have to test it on my voice because the 545 doesn't have enough top end, and my SE2200 doesn't have enough 'character'.

noisedude said:
It's criminal but I own one but have never had time to really try it out. I got it and then a USA-made 545 shortly after, and the Beyer kinda got shoved outta the picture a bit. I really have to test it on my voice because the 545 doesn't have enough top end, and my SE2200 doesn't have enough 'character'.

I could have bought three at around $30 when I bought mine but was totally broke so I just got one. It was mint. It came in the box. It had the spec sheet with it.

And, yep, it's a crime you haven't used yours yet. :D

Sorry! What would you particularly recommend it on? What are its quirks (is it a fussy lady who has to be treated right, or a utility player who will do anything well)?

Noise--

I've used it mostly on VO and male vocals. Harvey and Chessrock are boosters of this mic so I'd leave comments about general utility to them.

That's cool, I bought it hoping for that. Things have been delaying me, now that I finally have 'proper' (Alesis M1As ... hey they were second hand and really cheap) monitors my computer has gone down. It's like clockwork. One door opens etc.

I have one too, but I've never tried it on acoustic guitar. I also have an M300 which I personally like even better on vocals although it was cheaper than the M400/Soundstar II. Too bad they're both discontinued.

Mine is doing fine as a vocal mic for live work. IMO, they are an excellent replacment for an SM58... the round ball is passable for most folks, and the good sound for the rest of them.

I'm really stuck on my RE27 for my live vocal work. It is not nearly as bassy as the M400, due to the proximity effect reduction of the RE27. Still, I'd like to replace all my regular vocal mics with M400s.

Just thought I'd bring this back from the dead because I have now tried my M400 on acoustic!! I was knocking up a 'hilarious' joke song for someone on 'another' site and already had the Beyer out from my ongoing vocal shoot-outs, so I pointed it at the neck join on my guitar, only about 4" away, and double-tracked a quite pair of takes.

I'm blown away by how good the result is for such minimal placement effort - it's very 'warm' and 'clear' without being too 'clicky' in detail, as charcterised by one or two of the cheaper condensers I've used. I'm learning fast that this is a quality mic!! :)

Interesting...

There was a thread recently(ish) where chessrock said that when he recorded acoustic guitars, he tended to use 1 condenser and 1 dynamic, and sum the results to mono.

Might try this with the Soundstar some time, to see how it sounds.

Do it - I've been playing some more and it's particularly good when I stick a capo on around 5th or 6th fret for some 'mando' sounds. It's certainly not the 'condenser mic sound', but it's fine in its own way.

Hey Nik

I'd like to hear the tracks. Wanna clue us in as to their whereabouts? :cool:

Incidentally, I just tried the M400 on my acoustic. Not too shabby :D

My recording setup has been dismantled for the duration of exams and coursework period, including disconnection and removal of my hard drives!!! However, my 30-second joke song at kgirl and corg can be found in an Aux Bus thread called something like "Who is your famous twin".

Don't ask. I wasn't drunk ... just a little ... bored? :)

Back