Beyer M260N Repair

paddyponchero

Howdy,

I got a used M260N on ebay, first I thought it needed a new ribbon because there is no bass at all out of it but physically the ribbon seems ok and I have since noticed that the on off switch is wired backwards so the transformer may be wired up wrong too. Before I rip the thing apart has anyone got any pointers on how to correctly disassemble it?

Thanks

Paddy

paddyponchero said:
Howdy,

I got a used M260N on ebay, first I thought it needed a new ribbon because there is no bass at all out of it but physically the ribbon seems ok and I have since noticed that the on off switch is wired backwards so the transformer may be wired up wrong too. Before I rip the thing apart has anyone got any pointers on how to correctly disassemble it?

Thanks

Paddy

Have you been able to look at the ribbon? How? The ribbon is in a kind of 'funnel' under a piece of net, so it's hard to look at it and besides that, the ribbon is very small.

I've never seen a 260 with a switch, does anybody know about that guys? Harvey perhaps?

To see the ribbon you must take the upper half of the grill apart, it's glued together. But I think you should send it to someone who's experienced before you damage it.

Han said:
Have you been able to look at the ribbon? How? The ribbon is in a kind of 'funnel' under a piece of net, so it's hard to look at it and besides that, the ribbon is very small.

I've never seen a 260 with a switch, does anybody know about that guys? Harvey perhaps?

To see the ribbon you must take the upper half of the grill apart, it's glued together. But I think you should send it to someone who's experienced before you damage it.

I have a B&L stereo microscope used for electronics inspection, obviously I can't be sure but the ribbon doesn't seem to sag and seems in good condition.

Regarding the switch many of the older beyers with the silver balls has the same flush mounting switch.

With regard to sending it to someone, I got it cheap and it's not worth £80 to me to send it to beyer. They offered me a new one at 50% of retail in exchange but I think I'd rather put the money towards a Sennheiser 414.

If the ribbon is okay then there must be something with the wiring or transformer.

I think the mic can be taken apart by unscrewing the circular nut at the end of the mic where the Din connector is.

I also think you'll need a special tool in order to make no damage to it.

I was able to open it up no problem but the tansformer is too large to come out through the bottom. I reckon the whole ball has to come off, which would explain why beyer seem to replace the ball and ribbon at the same time.

I tried it in two other pres and there isa dramatic difference - seems to be much more sensitive to load impedance than any other mic that I have come accross. It works well on fiddle as fiddle as it is so I think I'll leave it alone.

Last edited:
Back