Beware! Unfinished song here.

synergy

Don't say I didn't warn you!

This is a little thing I've been working on, on and off. I had vocals pretty much worked out, until I decided that they pretty much sucked (either because I can't sing real well or it was just a boring melody). Either way, this is only an instrumental, and not a real exciting one at that. Well, now that I've probably turned off 90% of potential listeners, here goes:

'orbit'

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1323&alid=-1

Basically I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this song has potential, and/or your mixing advice, even though the vocal is conspicously absent.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Listened to Hendrix I think when I hear the intro, kinda Little Wing style. In the beginning the guitar being slighly out of tune kinda irritated me, but it's only a split second so no big harm.

You got a pretty decent mix there: especially the acoustic guitar sounds really good in my ears. Natural, and it fits right in the mix. How did you record it?

The electric guitar seems to get lost a bit further in the song, where the acoustic pushes the electric back, that not fits really in the mix. Especially during the solo the electric guitar kindo drowns: I shouldn't pan it that hard to one site and really put it up in that part, and let the acoustic go a little down.

You indeed need a good vocal line on this, for it is a great backing track, but melodically not strong enough to be an instrumental.

I would think about redoing the electric guitar, it gets the intro but gets lost in the rest of the song. Maybe a sound with a little less distortion, that's more present but not overwhelming. Some of the drumfill are a bit too predictable but that's a matter of taste of course.

But soundwise a good job! keep up the good work!

Brett:

Thanks for the good words man! Your right on with the Hendrix comment, I've always loved his stuff.

Regarding the acoustic git:

This is actually my first song that I used that skinny sliver of a mic they call the ecm8000. I used one ecm8000 about 15-20" away from the soundhole, and one good 'ol sm57 angled down the guitar neck, pointed at about the 12th fret, off a few inches. Then I doubled tracked them. for a total of 4 acoustic git tracks, then panned to taste. I was very happy with the result, considering I am very new at this.

The electric guitar was basically panned so hard to kind of "get out of the way" of the vocals, and I never automated it to the center during the solo. I have not worked with the drums too much yet either, they are for the most part straight out of Fruity Loops. So, yeah, I've still got a lot of work to do on this.

I think the recording and mixing were well done, but the 1, 5, 6, 4 chord progression at the chourse kinda bothered me, but it's just my taste tho. By the way, I think the tone on the solo fit in the mix and this style of music very well. Good job

AL

Yes it has potential.Put the vocals back on there man!There's not enough going on for it to be an instrumental but I could definetly dig a cool melody on top of this.

Nice drums and guitars.I like the mix of acoustics and electric guitars.

No learn how to play some ripping lead guitar and lay it down man!:D

Good job synergy.It's nice to finally hear some musical instruments being played in the clinic this week.:eek:

I would say it definitly has potential!
Nice guitar tone,how did you record the electric?

Acoustic seems a little too loud,can't really hear some of the other instruments in certian parts.(1:05 to 1:20 for exp.)
And I would bring the drums up a little.
Just my humble opinion!:D

Sounds cool!
Looking foward to hearing the finished version.

Pete

:) Nice song. I hear a lil Kenny Wayne in it, especially at the beginning. I think the lead need's to come up and the bass down a lil. So I'm looking forward to hearing the vocal's on it.

Kramer:

Thanks man. I'm just a beginning singer/songwriter, and I consider myself a pretty talentless singer, but I'm working on some vocals. Lord knows that E\C#m needs something over it during the verses! The solo will also be better (hopefully) in the next version, this was a first take sort of deal.

muze:

Yeah, I know the acoustic needs to come down a bit, and right now the drums live on one stereo track straight out of Fruity Loops. I will export them seperatly and get them to individual tracks where I will have much more control, and can play with the levels then. The electric is a J-Station, I forget the setting, though. I eq'd and compressed the hell out of it, because I wanted to give it that sort of mellow, distant sound, so as not to get in the way of the vocals. Like Brett mentioned, I will probably pull it more upfront and towards the center during the actual solo part. Thanks for the compliment, and hopefully I will get the "finished" version finished soon. :)

I liked it..and it definately needs a melody something...vocals..whatever.

The main work should be on the elec. gtr. Some loose playing and the sound is lacking a bit.

Wow, in checking that out I ended up listening to Trouble.
Good song,...I really liked it.

The orbit song sounded pretty good. It's hard to tell from just a backdrop. Nice accoustic strumming. The ride symbol is kind of wonky, off...then on, then off... I don't think the style of electric guitar worked for the "off in the corner behind the accoustic" thing.

Did I say I liked that Trouble song?

Doug

that first lick is real reminescent of pearl jam...cool tho...i guess all stuff anymore reminds me of something..lol.....nice guitar tone the "lead"..needs to be brought more up front.....i like the break very tasty lick,,,(that didnt sound good did it)...lmao.....now im gonna listen to the "britny " cover that HAS to be great ...

lmao...yeah!!!!!!..

man those ...back grounds....lol...sweet...are those real drums???..sound like it.....
ok that chorus is fuckin great......i mean its not in tune but so what!!!!....that is a great cover of a song i hate.i much prefer this to the "real " one any day.....

right on.
jamal

Hey, thanks everybody for listening. I really appreciate it.

mixmkr:

Yes, I agree with you 100%. It was never intended to be an instrumental, so it is definetly boring with no vocals. Yes the electric is a little sloppy, some timing issues and such, but I kind of like the tone. I will re-track and get the panning better.

Doug:

Glad you liked Trouble. Coldplay is amazing. This was just a fun thing my friend and I did with an sm57 on git and vocals. Not very fancy stuff, but I think the great songwriting and my friends vocals help this one out alot. For 'orbit', the ride is "wonky" (i like that term), due to some fairly quick drum editing. That will be fixed also. I was pretty happy with the electric, but we will see how it all comes together.

jamal:

Yes, I heard the resemblence to yellow ledbetter, but i really listen to more JH than PJ, so I think thats the main influence on that. The electric will be brought more up front in places when the vox are in place.

Haha, I'm glad you enjoyed the Britney cover. I've always liked off genre style covers, so I decided to try my own. The drums are "fake", done in Fruity Loops, as all my drums are. And as you probably realized, singing isn't one of my strong points. But to save some face, I really didn't try that hard to get these sounding too great as I figured its kind of in the punk/rock/idontgiveadamnwhatitsoundslike thing.

Thanks again everybody.

Orbit - Mix sounds really great. This would fun to sing.

Honestly, I'd change that first lick. It's so damned close to ledbetter...that's just me.

This is going to HAVE to kick some ass when it's done. I like it. Nice job.

change that first lick. :D

Chris

first off, this really hit me, and made me think of some lyrics i will post later in teh thread. just wanted to say, i really liked it a lot. it feels reminiscent of PJ a lot, and i bet you had killer vibe in the room where you were recording. it really shows in the song. someone really good probably set it up, huh? anyways, here are the lyrics i thought of, just kinda came to me, thought i would share:

in an unknown universe
not so far away from here
i feel you moving ever near me
beautifully unaware

you left your perfect place
fell from grace
come to me and wrap me
in your glow

the way im doing it has a nice melody, and i really like the instruments, let me know if you already have any words, i love writing and this seems to be a hit to me. little stong on the lead elec git, but other than that, a few drum tweaks, some vocals, and you will be in business. just my thoughts, let me know if you like the lyrics.

corey

Real nice sound. You have a flanger goin' on the electric guit?

Really needs vocals. C'mon - give'm a try. :D

Back