Better Sound Card, Signal Chain Upgrade

fluxburn

I currently have a Delta 2496 audiophile, runs to a mackie 1604 VLZ Pro out to Genelec 1031 a's. I don't really need tons of inputs for the recording, since I generally only record a stereo track at a time anyways. I only record in 24 bit, 44.1 since I feel the difference between 96 and 44.1 is not worth the space.

I was considering the following,

Upgrading mixer to Yamaha OV1 Used and a Hammerfall digital audio card to take a digital signal from the mixer.

Getting a better 8 channel sound card, use existing mixer.

Getting a apogee rossetta 2 channel unit used, and get a hammerfall digital audio card and use exsiting mixer?

I don't know which object is worse, the mackie mixer or the delta card. I am seriously considering option 1. The mackie mixer is alright, but and Allen and Health would be much better. I like the mixer for live mixing this techno stuff I do, but that is just a side project and a analog mixer is not really nessary at all.

Another option is to not have a mixer at all, and input my gear through a patchbay, while using the computers digital interface within the computer to control sound output levels.

If someone could recomend the best audio card, I guess the best technically is the apogeee rosetta, right? Doesn't a patchbay ruin sound quality?

Thanks for all the help.

personally, the Apogee Nuendo solution would sound the best. I also think that your Mackie sounds better than a Yamaha 01V. But I also think an Allen Heath Mixwiz would sound much better than a Mackie.

my personal feeling is an rme solution more than enough.
anything more is a waste of money imho for a home studio.
i'm looking at the "big picture" when i say this.
now if your say montserrat or some big nashville studio earning big cash flow then you dont really care. you can afford anything.
bottom line for me if i was making the decision a mix whiz and a rme would be the most expensive i would go. in my opinion at this level the quality is so good. the songs are what is important.
another idea. for fun.,,,,why dont you do what i do. just learn some electronics
and build your own mic pre's for 20 bucks each in parts.
you can build a nice mic pre for 20 bucks.
give it a think sometime,,,the beauty is you take back control as YOU select the parts.
peace.

Um I tried building some of those piaa kits, well I ordered 3 and finished 1 and it doesn't work. The other two kits are halfway done... I wonder what I did wrong? I have replaced knobs on my nord lead 3, yamaha ex5, I fixed this yamaha dx200, so why can't I build from scratch?

Back