Better Off

bozmillar

Well, I guess I'm pretty much done with this one, so it's ready to stick up here.

I got a two channel downmix of a song from someone and added the strings only, so there isn't much I can do about the mix other than level of the strings.

Same story as my usual string arrangements: kind of generic, not good enough to stand on its own, but I think it does an OK job of supporting the band. Any critiques welcome.

Sounds pretty sweet. I think there are times when the overall mix would benefit from you having control over the individual elements, but this version is adequate to demonstrate that your contribution definitely works and sounds very nice.

As for the song as a whole, I didn't really care for the part where it picked up in intensity and sounded like some distorted electric guitar was used. Other than that, nice tune, nice melody.

Matt

I like the idea of the distorted guitar (though I suppose I was hoping for something more Nightwish-y when I read that.) But the vocals seemed to get buried a bit right about then.

It was a good song though. Very emotional. The strings were a good contribution.

Nice arrangeemnt/playing Boz.
I would suggest you listen to some of Scott Walker's recordings (from Scott to Scott Three) for some alternative approaches as well as Brian wilson's golden period - &&&& the Last Shadow Puppets (Alex Trner from the Arctic Monkeys) has some great string arrangements - though they are a bit buried - I had to use a Omnisonic 801 Imager to bring those up & out to their true glory.
All I'm suggesting is that your supportive role is just that & I hear less passive ideas in your own work.
You've done well - I'm not fussed on the song

It's certainly a good "marketable" song. Strings sound very good, Boz, they lay a nice blanket under the whole thing.

Joey :):):):)

yeah, I like the distorted guitar. I think it could use some drums and bass to sort of fill it in, but I'm forcing myself to not start down that path. I'm trying to take a "get the job done and walk away" approach.

Sorry vomit, this is no huge orchestra production, just a simple string arrangement.

rayc, I'll take a look at those. I find it surprisingly hard to come by good reference material for backing strings. I tend to take a pretty passive roll with the strings usually, mostly because I don't want to over do it. I think I usually under do it though.

Thanks Joey, it's always good to get your thumbs up.

Back