Better Monitors

geeq

Hello! I currently own a $50 dollar Sony monitor, I wanted to upgrade my monitor. Can you guys suggest any monitors under $500? I know a someone who runs a studio have an Alesis M1MKII, what do you guys think of it? Please help me out..
thanks.
:)

monitors isnt one of the strong points of Alesis......

the big question is if the $500 for active or passive......

for actives:

Event TR5,TR8
Yorkville YSM1P
JBL LSR25p

Passive - Speakers and drivers. No power source, ie, need an amp to use them.

Active - Built in amp.

This simple explanation surffices I think.

Yorkville YSM1P
JBL LSR25p
Event TR5N,TR6N,TR8N

active is better....these are active........

Gidge (or anyone esle) have you compared the Event TR5, TR6 and TR8s to any other well known monitors?

Also, if a pair of TR8s were placed next to a pair of old Event 20/20bas monitors and adjusted to the same volume - which ones which you prefer to mix with and why? How flat is the response of the TR series of monitors and are they suitable for home theatre use as well?

Thanks for your help!

of those i listed, the JBL's would probably be the best, but also the more expensive.....

if it was me i d go with the TR5N becuase they are the cheapest, and im a cheapskate and they sound good enuff......

if you were comparing the 20/20'bas, youd have to compare them to the TR8N (same size).....TapeOp had a review that compared the tr8n to passive 20/20's and found the tr8n had more detailed high end, more depth of stereo image, and better low end......

Back