Beta 57 replacement

philboyd studge

Some asswipe thief of a busboy stole by stage mic at a country club gig Saturday night, and though I'll likely go with another Beta 57, I thought I'd post to see what else might be out there in the price range.

I've had it for something like 10 years and used 57's for many years before that. No condensers need apply.

I find there's a HUGE difference between the M69 and the Beta 57... the M69 is a touch brighter, but smoother-sounding.... what pres are you using?

Blue Bear Sound said:
I find there's a HUGE difference between the M69 and the Beta 57... the M69 is a touch brighter, but smoother-sounding.... what pres are you using?

Well I suppose I wanted it to be like an M88, that was part of the problem. The M88, now that's not just smooth, it's smoove. But that's not fair because the M88 costs a LOT more. There is no way I'm putting up my M88 as a vocal mic for a live show.

I tested it with my (modified) A&H MixWiz, which is what I use as a live mixer. I never contemplated using the M69s for recording.

The cost difference is something like $70, and the group I produce has 5 vocalists . . .

Blue Bear Sound said:

Straight into the PA, this is for live work only.

philboyd studge said:
Hmmm, a Beta 87A isn't all that much more, especially from a place called G&G Technologies.....anybody know much about either one?

:confused: You said you didn't want a condenser :confused:

mshilarious said:
:confused: You said you didn't want a condenser :confused:

That's right, I don't. Didn't know it was a condenser......I don't want to run 48v, it screws up everything else. Oh well, back to the Beta 57, which is apparently a 57A now. That must mean it's made in Mexico.

As people have said over and over, it's very subjective. Sure there may be other similar mics out there in a similar price range (people have mentioned M69, etc...) but you'd have to try them to see how they work on your voice. Nothing that anyone here can tell you will be enough for you to decide on a different mic. You have to go try it for yourself and see what you think. For my voice, I can't beat a Beta 57. I've used SDC's and LDC's, both live and studio, wired and wireless (well not wireless LDCs), and for my voice nothing has ever matched the Beta.

sile2001 said:
As people have said over and over, it's very subjective. Sure there may be other similar mics out there in a similar price range (people have mentioned M69, etc...) but you'd have to try them to see how they work on your voice. Nothing that anyone here can tell you will be enough for you to decide on a different mic. You have to go try it for yourself and see what you think. For my voice, I can't beat a Beta 57. I've used SDC's and LDC's, both live and studio, wired and wireless (well not wireless LDCs), and for my voice nothing has ever matched the Beta.

If it ain't broke don't fix it I suppose.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the Beta 57A. Great all 'round mic. Durable, sounds great, and reasonable price. There's a reason they're considered a standard...quality.

MOTU said:
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the Beta 57A. Great all 'round mic. Durable, sounds great, and reasonable price. There's a reason they're considered a standard...quality.

Yeah, I just gave up an ordered another. Pretty good deal too...$99 from G & G Technologies.

Back