Best Way to Reduce Peak Level of a Recorded Track When Ideal Avg. RMS Already Achieved?

Gtr65

In my recording projects, I import a pre-recorded stereo drum track. I then play the track and monitor the RMS level and adjust the gain in Logic Pro X's Track Inspector to get as close as possible to an average RMS value of around -18.0 db. The problem is, the peak level of the track, invariably, is greater than the target ideal value of around -6.0 db.

My question is, what would be the best method of limiting the peak level to -6.0? Is it as simple as just inserting a limiter plugin and assigning the maximum peak to -6.0, or is there more to it than that?

I do prefer to do this right after recording rather than at the mixing stage, if for no other reason than to make gain staging easier later on and prevent clipping as I continue recording tracks.

Thanks very much in advance for any guidance.

Everyone be well and stay safe.

Gtr65

Is this a completed track or just a drum track? If it's a drum track, then using a limiter with a limit of something like -4 or -5dB and a fairly quick response will be needed to catch drum hits since they are inherently very fast. I never bother with what the average value of drum tracks are, except to make sure they are adequately loud for the mix.

Is this a completed track or just a drum track? If it's a drum track, then using a limiter with a limit of something like -4 or -5dB and a fairly quick response will be needed to catch drum hits since they are inherently very fast. I never bother with what the average value of drum tracks are, except to make sure they are adequately loud for the mix.
This is a stereo audio track of already mixed drums (at least in terms of relative levels of all the mic'd kit components) that I import and use as the foundation for all the subsequent tracks I'll perform and record myself (i.e., bass guitar, rhythm guitar(s), lead guitar, vocals, etc.). Thanks for your post!

I'm confused. Surely you just have the stereo track sitting there, pre-mixed so as long as it's peaks are at an acceptable level, the RMS average is irrelevant. You add you tracks and if you need to expand it's dynamic range, or reduce it - that's just what you do when you mix the track? I can't imagine ever asking myself this when taking in a pre-mix somebody else has done, or working with supplied stems. I like to just have enough level to give a sensible meter reading. What it really is I'm not really bothered about. Lots of the stuff I deal with have far high a level as supplied so, I bring it down, but a few stems will hardly tickle the meters, so I bring the levels up. I certainly don't waste time on levels, I just listen and deal with whatever they are?

To directly answer the question, yes, a limiter will do that but could compromise the sound of the drums.

Now, the question is why you want to do this. Drums and other percussive instruments always have a high crest factor (ratio of average to peak level). There is no reason to try to get drum tracks to average -18dbfs or to make sure the peaks are under -6dbfs (as long as they don't clip)

The reason for having an average level of -18dbfs is so you don't overstress the mic preamps while recording, but that doesn't apply to percussive instruments. The reason to keep peaks below -6dbfs is to give yourself some headroom to catch any peaks that sneak up on you.

Once a signal is recorded, the level largely doesn't matter until it is mixed. Don't worry about the average level of drums, just make sure the transients don't clip. Also, don't worry too much about meter readings. Close is good enough.

To directly answer the question, yes, a limiter will do that but could compromise the sound of the drums.

Now, the question is why you want to do this. Drums and other percussive instruments always have a high crest factor (ratio of average to peak level). There is no reason to try to get drum tracks to average -18dbfs or to make sure the peaks are under -6dbfs (as long as they don't clip)

The reason for having an average level of -18dbfs is so you don't overstress the mic preamps while recording, but that doesn't apply to percussive instruments. The reason to keep peaks below -6dbfs is to give yourself some headroom to catch any peaks that sneak up on you.

Once a signal is recorded, the level largely doesn't matter until it is mixed. Don't worry about the average level of drums, just make sure the transients don't clip. Also, don't worry too much about meter readings. Close is good enough.
You've provided me with a new perspective here as to leeway on the peak and average RMS levels of my drums track, as well as valuable information that I had been curious about; that is, if the use of a limiter could in any way also have adverse effects on the track. I get exactly what you are saying, and I appreciate it so much. Thank you, Jay!

You may want to use a compressor or limiter on the drums in the mix, but it should be a mix decision, not a way to chase meter readings.

You may want to use a compressor or limiter on the drums in the mix, but it should be a mix decision, not a way to chase meter readings.
I did figure on this, that at the mixing stage, I would be applying processing such as compression. Thanks again.

Back