best way to record distorted vox

matttheaxe

I would like to know the BEST way to record distorted vocals. Like fuzzed out tone, yet intelligible.

Should I use a basic vocal track and effect it or start off with the sound with let's say a green bullet mic?

Please respond if you have done this before. It's not as easy as just adding distortion.

It would be easy if you were in analog coz then you'd just overload by turning the recording level too high. If you have something like overdrive, that could be better than distortion.

I would like to know the BEST way to record distorted vocals. Like fuzzed out tone, yet intelligible.

Should I use a basic vocal track and effect it or start off with the sound with let's say a green bullet mic?

Please respond if you have done this before. It's not as easy as just adding distortion.

Easiest way is to record the vocal without effects, then add a distortion plug-in afterwards, varying the level to taste.

Maybe the coolest and funnest way to accomplish this effect would be to reamp your vocal tracks.

:cool:

Look for a power amplified microphone. Something like an astatic d104. This is intended for CB/Ham radio and has a 9v preamp built into it. This would act much like an overdrive pedal would on a guitar amp. Plus it will have a nasty raw sounding intercom-like tone. It will take a little wiring. The nice thing is you can cut it in and out with the push to talk switch.

Or you could do the megaphone before the microphone a la STP's "Dead and Bloated"

I guess it all depends on how distorted you want them to be.

My vote would be record a good signal and then put effects after. If you record on a crummy mic like some have suggested it will not be as intelligible as you would like.

If you record a good signal you can tweak how much "distortion" you want later and adjust it based on the final needs of the song.

Just my opinion

Charlie
www.intuneaudio.ca

gecko and moresound have it sussed...

either record your vox and use a dist plugin to taste, or record them and reamp..

either way you still have the dry take to experiment with...

i've had to do this a few times and used guitar rig or even the sansamp to give a bit of crunch......nothing mad,,,,,more like CB radio kinda tone?

Or you could do the megaphone before the microphone a la STP's "Dead and Bloated"

Great song :)

"Just scream"...Never thought of that!

Here's an idea nobody else on planet earth (other than Bob log) thought of.
This is got to be the weirdest, yet coolest thing I have ever heard.

To get that fuzzed out tone, this dude wears a motorcycle helmet with an old school telephone handle cut into the front of the face shield! Then this guy plays some killer slide guitar and plays the drums with his feet.

You gotta see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1tKpDYUlIo&feature=related

Wearing head gear isn't as rare as you think!!!

I saw mike patton recording some stuff for The Dillinger Escape Plan while wearing a gas mask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiAAzB8IApE

About 20 secs in, sounds really sinister. Its not really distorted, but what i'm trying to say is don't just go for the most direct or logical route. Mess around man, see what works best cause there are a million and one ways to distort vocals.

Another good one to mess with is megaphones!

Rammstien....in there "live in Berlin" concert video uses an old WWII walkie talkie hand set to achieve said effect on "you hate me" and that sounded pretty dam good!!!

:cool:

I've used a vocal that was recorded to an answering machine! Sounds pretty cool, a little hard to sync up, of course.

I've also used the green bullet into a guitar amp on a few occasions. If I'm worried that I won't have clarity, I'll use a DI to split it off to a clean channel.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the best way, just try a few things.

I've also added distortion ITB with Cubase's amp plug-in, that works good, too!

Strictly nasal !

Another thing you could try is using a headphone, preferably a shitty one that doesn't take bass and high volume too kindly, as a mic. And cup your hands round your mouth and sing in a nasally tone. :cool:

Back