Best way to my Monitors from my DAW.

Mofracky

Hey guys,

I have a SBAudigy (no audio drive), a Samson 120 reference amp, and 2 Alesis Monitor 1's. Is it acceptable to run the line out of the SB into my Samson? Am i defeting the purpose of the monitors by using the SB's D/A Converter?

I have a Midiman Flying Cow, would it be better to use the s/pdif out of the SB into the Flying cow and then to the amp?

I guess my question really is, are the Flying Cow's converters better than the SBAudigy's converters?

Thanks in advance.
Mo.

Are you saying that if i use the Digital Out (s/pdif) on my Soundblaster that the signal (from say, Nuendo) is converted to analog, then back to digital??

I would be very suprised if that was the case.

I'm saying, instead of taking the Line level from the SB, i take the s/pdif into an external d/a converter (i.e, the flying cow) which would then feed the line level signal to my amp.

Thanks for the reply,
Mo.

i only know the normal SB Live, but for monitoring i would highly recommend the best possible out you have. I think thats the midiman out via S/PDIF in your case!
I personally own a Creamware Pulsar++ environment with A16 24/96 converters and the tonal difference is significant.

Thanks struberg ---

My audigy has a 3.5mm Digital out jack ... any one know where i can get the cable that will go to the s/pdif in on my cow?

I think I need a 3.5mm Mono to 75ohm RCA, anyone know of a good place to get one?

Thanks again,
Mo.

Mono jack???

I think it will be a stereo jack, because you have
.) ground
.) dig out
.) dig in

but i don't know if out = tip and in = ring or otherwise

greets, or as douglas adams used to say:
so long jack, and thanks for all that cable

Mono jack???

I think it will be a stereo jack, because you have
.) ground
.) dig out
.) dig in

but i don't know if out = tip and in = ring or otherwise

greets, or as douglas adams used to say:
so long jack, and thanks for all that cable:D

That'll be a mono plug. Go to the Shack of Radios and pick up an adaptor. As long as the line is as short as possible (the 75 ohm video type cable that is) it'll be ok.

Cool, So just a decent RCA to Mono 1/8" and my current s/pdif cable will do the trick eh? Sounds about right...

I think that the digital port on the back of the SB Audigy is only Out ... but maybe i should also get a Stereo 1/8" to 2 RCA "Y" connector and give In a shot...

Thanks alot Gents.

Mo.

struberg,

The L/R signals on a digital cable don't need to be electrically separated as analog signals do, it's just data -- which is left and which is right is identified within the data packets.

Back