best way to mic a snare?

toadies

the past few drums i mic i can't seem to place the snare above it with out the dude hitting it or blocking a tom or cymbol.

I been micin' it from under but don't like the sound of it. So is there a good mic clip for the SM57? or should I still use a boom stand and try to make it work?

What kind of drum mic clips are out there to hold a sm57 well?

I never had a drummer hit my mics. what i am saying it the placement of the snare guiding it thou the high hat, cymbols, toms it just gets in the way of the drummer and would hit it with out doubt.

So i'm asking whats a good mic clip for the snare so i can eliminate the boom stand.

Mic position

I'm almost positive that I read somewhere on this forum that during the recoding of a Rush album, Neal Pert taped a mic to his shirt to pickup the snare??? :confused: Not sure what the mic was but, you may want to try a search? May be worth a try.

But for my 2 cents (an old drummer), if the 57 is placed between the Hi-hat and tom (angled away from the hi-hat) its not that easy to hit.

The last option could be that every time the drummer hits a mic.....he donates the cost of a new mic to your favorite charity.............(you)!!! :D

I don't understand how a clip on will help the mic from getting hit. If anything they offer less flexibility for placement and the vibrations they pick up can be make them unusable in some situations.

If the drummer is hitting your mic all the time then you need to teach him to stop. Put some of zapper on him and just tell him that this is how it is - You hit the mic, you get zapped. Plain and simple.

if you are having a problem with drummers hitting the mic and the drummers arent the same guy each time than mabye you are putting it too far over the edge drum? check your placement.

Something tells me it's not the drummer's fault. It is pretty hard to hit the snare mic by accident if it is placed properly. Ask any experienced drummer where the mic should go. They'll gladly show you how it's done.

I tend to go off the side near the top rim. You get a little less isolation, but the tone is brighter. (Not a big fan of the big-bonk-bass tone you get up in on the skin anyway) And to hit it there he'd have to miss the drum!:D
Wayne

mixsit said:
I tend to go off the side near the top rim. You get a little less isolation, but the tone is brighter. (Not a big fan of the big-bonk-bass tone you get up in on the skin anyway) And to hit it there he'd have to miss the drum!:D
Wayne

That's where I put it too when I occasionally try a ribbon mic on a snare, and don't even want to take the slightest chance of it being hit.

Re: Mic position

Simman said:
I'm almost positive that I read somewhere on this forum that during the recoding of a Rush album, Neal Pert taped a mic to his shirt to pickup the snare??? :confused: Not sure what the mic was but, you may want to try a search? May be worth a try.

But for my 2 cents (an old drummer), if the 57 is placed between the Hi-hat and tom (angled away from the hi-hat) its not that easy to hit.

The last option could be that every time the drummer hits a mic.....he donates the cost of a new mic to your favorite charity.............(you)!!! :D

wow, somebody actually pays attention to what I write! makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

anyway - neil peart did have a pzm mic taped to his shirt during the recording of moving pictures in order to pick up some snare. but I believe that he also had your more standard snare mic'ing as well...(ie. pzm mic was only 'secondary')

Re: Re: Mic position

pratt said:
wow, somebody actually pays attention to what I write! makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

anyway - neil peart did have a pzm mic taped to his shirt during the recording of moving pictures in order to pick up some snare. but I believe that he also had your more standard snare mic'ing as well...(ie. pzm mic was only 'secondary')

See that, and you thought no one was listening (well....reading) ;)

I dont really have much of a problem with this but hey- a pictures worth a thousand words- if any of you guys have a kit miced at the moment go snap a pic and post it- lets see where the "right" placement is.

Back