best way to learn Pro Tools 9?

drembo

I've always used a studio in a box set up, so I have no experience using DAW software. I am building a computer and have purchased PT9. What is the best way to go about learning to use this software? Book, DVD, internet courses, dive in and learn by doing? I don't really want to stop recording while I learn a new system, I want to get up and running as soon as possible. However, I want to learn how to use the full potential of the software.
Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated

in my honest opinion,,the best way is to dive in and just use it.

If you're stuck on the basics, read the manual or check out some youtube tutorial videos.

If you're stuck on something a little more obscure, post up here or somewhere like it.

I've always thought there's no substitute for picking something up through practice.
I took the PT101 course because it was offered at my college,,but i quickly learned that i could have saved £250 and just read the book myself, rather than listen to someone else read it :( (what a waste)

Once you pick up the basic stuff, it's really not that hard, so yeh...just go nuts :)

If you don't think you're ready to completely jump ship, just build up some practice sessions in protools so it doesn't matter if it goes wrong.

Best of luck!

I am a new PT9 owner as well, with no PT experience at all. With my purchase, I got a free web pass to Groove3.com, and the videos there have been very helpful to me. They are concise, professionally produced, and cover a wide range of topics on a variety of gear by many manufacturers. Good stuff, IMHO.

That said, as Steenamaru said, you still have to dig in! Good luck!

the good thing about Pro Tools is that there are so many internet resources.

Jump right in there, the best way to learn anything is by doing it, If so The PDF files that come with Pro Tools are great, theres the quick start guide to help you get on your way quickly, The reference guide, so If you want to do anything its your No.1 resource for finding out how. And learn the short cuts, if you find out how to do something look in the shortcuts PDF and find out that, it saves a hell of alot of time.

The biggest thing that you will notice about PT is that is is reminiscent of an analogue system. It calls a bus a bus and an insert an insert. You can feed these in/out back into each other if you like and cause all kinds of noise.

The reason I stuck with Digi is because it offered the most flexible routing solutions available for the time and it looked like a regular board.

Your mix window is literally what it says. It is your console. Best to have 2 screens and post your edit window on 1 monitor and your mix on another. Fantastic!

Back