Best way to get audio from microphone onto PC?

EvanOz85

I'm basically wondering what devices the professionals use to record audio into their computers. I currently use a Fast Track Pro, but I know this is not at all a high quality device.

What type of setup provides the best sound for this? Do you need a mic pre-amp that is separate from the FireWire/USB interface?

If price were not at all an issue, what are some of the best options you guys would recommend? Thanks.

It depends on the application. For example, I use an external mic pre-amp for all the mics on my drums (M-Audio Octane) or the mic pres in my mixer (Mackie 1604) via its aux sends or inserts for other mics. In general, though, you'll find a good mic pre is going to be better than one that's supplied with an interface.

So when using separate pre-amps, what do you need in order to send the audio to the computer?

You're still gonna need some kind of interface to accept the signal(s). How many inputs are you looking for? What kind of stuff are you looking to record?

I'm looking to mainly record vocals. However, the more inputs the better I guess.

So I would need a good mic preamp..which I think I can find on my own. And then a device to accept the signal. Can you recommend some of these?

I'm looking to mainly record vocals. However, the more inputs the better I guess.

So I would need a good mic preamp, and then a device to accept the signal. Can you recommend anything?

I could recommend a lot of things at this point, but I need to know a little more about what you're doing or planning to do. Do you already have recording software?

EDIT: OK, you have Fast Track which I know nothing about.

Yes, I have SONAR 7. I also have two AKG 414 ULS microphones.

I just need a recommendation on the device to accept the signal.

EDIT: OK, you have Fast Track which I know nothing about.

Huh? I'm looking for something to REPLACE the Fast Track. The Fast Track isn't recording software...it's just a USB audio device.

Yes, I have SONAR 7. I also have two AKG 414 ULS microphones.

I just need a recommendation on the device to accept the signal.

Huh? I'm looking for something to REPLACE the Fast Track. The Fast Track isn't recording software...it's just a USB audio device.

Ok, gotcha. Personally, I think you'd be better off with either a PCI or FireWire device. I'm assuming you're using a tower and not a laptop. I have 2 Echo Layla 24/96 interfaces (PCI), and they work perfectly, but seeing as how they're discontinued you'd have to get a used one or go withone of their newer models like the G3. Echo makes several interfaces currently that are reputed to work well. There's also M-Audio. They were recently acquired by Digidesign, so there are a lot of Pro Tool options there. But their Delta 1010 gets lots of props here.

Back